Hatching Shipped Eggs

nickkaylee

Chirping
Jul 27, 2021
I ordered some shipped hatching eggs and let them sit for 24 hours. Then I candled them. Most of them appear to have detached air cells. They are now in the incubator pointy end down with the turner off. Now what do I do? I've been told by one person to leave them alone now for 4 days and recheck. Another said 7 days. Yet another told me I could just leave them like that for the whole 21 days. I am so confused. Please help lol.

Attachments

• received_1318823558603295.jpeg
    received_1318823558603295.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 35
People have loads of ideas and it can be hard to know who is right.

I get shipped eggs fairly often and this is what I do.

Upon arrival the eggs are carefully unpacked and put directly in the incubator. I put them vertically for the first two days without turning them. After 48 hours I put the eggs horizontal and begin turning. Many of those eggs with air cell damage (saddled) do develop. I have found that there is always chicks that need an assisted hatch.

You will have to decide who's advice to follow. I will tell you to take time and research assisted hatches as it could save you a number of chicks that could be lost. BYC has a good article on this.

People have loads of ideas and it can be hard to know who is right.

I get shipped eggs fairly often and this is what I do.

Upon arrival the eggs are carefully unpacked and put directly in the incubator. I put them vertically for the first two days without turning them. After 48 hours I put the eggs horizontal and begin turning. Many of those eggs with air cell damage (saddled) do develop. I have found that there is always chicks that need an assisted hatch.

You will have to decide who's advice to follow. I will tell you to take time and research assisted hatches as it could save you a number of chicks that could be lost. BYC has a good article on this.
I agree--
and for the OP:
Assisted hatching article

I really want to get some hatching eggs shipped in the next few weeks. I did it last summer but only had 1 chick hatch out of 12 eggs. But I didn’t know all this. I’ll definitely try this strategy if I do it again. I just hate to spend 150 dollars for eggs and not know realistically how many you’re going to get.

You’ll find as many opinions on how to best incubate shipped eggs as there are members on BYC. I agree with other posters, after trying multiple different methods in hatching shipped eggs, I leave them upright in the incubator for 2 to 3 days at most turning gently from side to side and then they go on their sides in the incubator.
Research has shown that turning is vital early in incubation, waiting seven days to turn just does not make sense. If the eggs are so scrambled from shipping that the aircells are detached there really isn’t much you can do about it. Either they will hatch or they won’t.
This is an old thread which still has some good advice. Good luck.😊
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/17631705

I really want to get some hatching eggs shipped in the next few weeks. I did it last summer but only had 1 chick hatch out of 12 eggs. But I didn’t know all this. I’ll definitely try this strategy if I do it again. I just hate to spend 150 dollars for eggs and not know realistically how many you’re going to get.
Meyer hatchery has some reasonable pricing for shipped eggs, & only $10 shipping for a dozen!

Last edited:
When buying eggs to be shipped, try to find what you want as close to you as possible. My poorest shipment resulted in 0 chicks (silver pheasant) and the best a 100% hatch (5 wild turkey eggs from Ohio). Most have been around 50%.

Back
Top Bottom