Hatching silkie babies and integrating into a flock of big girls

leanna1120

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014
Wisconsin
Hello,
I have a flock of 11 hens...4 RIR's, 3 BO's, and 4 BR's. I've been dying to add some silkies to the bunch for my kiddos. One of my BO's is broody and I'm planning to slip her some fertile silkie eggs. My question is, will integration into a flock of big girls be easier since they are being hatched by the BO? I am planning to give them a separate "maternity" space within the coop but then wanted the broody to raise them with the flock to avoid having to integrate them. I have read tons of threads and my head is spinning. Just looking for some personal suggestions and experience with this. Thank you so much in advance!!!

Leanna

I like to do just as you are planning to do. It is much easier to let the broody do the work of integrating. Also less work for you, then having two coops going. I let them lose with the flock from day one. If it is the first time your flock has seen chicks they may peck a little at the strangers, but they should go running back to mom for protection. A day or so as long as the chick doesn't annoy an adult they should be safe and running around without a worry. If you do another hatching with the flock and the adults will leave the chicks alone from day one.

Back
Top Bottom