Hatching silkie eggs under a large hen? Help please!

Farming Frenzy

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Kerikeri New Zealand
Hello everyone - please help I have an urgent problem!
I bought 9 silkie eggs around 2 weeks ago. I had 3 clucky hens, all silkie. One isn't a very good mother so I was down to 2 mums to choose from. The eggs arrived in mail after 2 days of shipping. All were fine so I let them sit for 24hrs, like the breeder said. During this period I found out one broody hen had stopped sitting so i was down to one hen :/ I put all the eggs under her, and she was pretty happy. When she wasn't sitting other hens would come and lay more eggs on top of the ones I bought, keeping them warm. I just collected the other ones. The eggs were due to hatch in 4 days and the hen stopped sitting after I changed her to the broody cage. The eggs went cold so I put them under my orpington that was broody but didnt have any eggs. She is a great mum and has incubated many eggs, including sebrights and other orps. But, as these ones are silkie eggs, Im really scared she is going to squash the chicks when they hatch. She is really huge, and the silkies are so small... pelase help, do you guys think she will squish the newborn chicks? I don't really have any other options!

I have had very large hens hatch guinea keets, which are incredibly tiny!
Orpingtons make great mothers, no matter what size the babies are.
jumpy.gif

If she is a good mama generally, then I wouldn't worry. I had a large fowl chicken hatch tiny Serama eggs. I was concerned they would be too small but she is a great mama and took perfect care of them. They are over 11 weeks old now and she is still taking care of them. I guess they are still so small she doesn't realize they are growing up!

thank you everyone
they are due today, hope they will still live as the silkie hen kinda stopped sitting on them for a day and i was scared they would die. They were warmed up after i put them under the orp hen, so I think they should still live. Will update when I go feed the chickens this morning. Supposed to be 2 white, 7 splash silkies. :)

just wwnt to check and feed the hens... no chicks yet? It is the 21st day. I candled them, can't see much as they are a bit dirty. I can see an air sack though, looks like a big bubble at the top. Under that there is just black? Is this normal? Please help!

just wwnt to check and feed the hens... no chicks yet? It is the 21st day. I candled them, can't see much as they are a bit dirty. I can see an air sack though, looks like a big bubble at the top. Under that there is just black? Is this normal? Please help!

Sounds about right! Give 'em a couple days... I know this waiting at the end is hard... good luck!!

thank you :) im just scared they arent fertile or wont hatch because they went cold... so you say they may still hatch in a few days? Alright. Was thinking about doing an autopsy on one egg tomorow but will wait. Thanks for the help

thank you
smile.png
im just scared they arent fertile or wont hatch because they went cold... so you say they may still hatch in a few days? Alright. Was thinking about doing an autopsy on one egg tomorow but will wait. Thanks for the help

If they look dark they are most likely fertile and have developed. Getting chilled may have just slowed them down a little so they may need a little extra time. Some eggs can hatch at day 23, 24 or even 25 so better to wait a bit than open an egg that could still hatch!

Back
Top Bottom