hatching silkies?

cartersmith

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Why are silkies so hard to hatch? i had a batch of 6 which failed to hatched seemed most died early on then had another batch of 6 and the same happened now i have a batch of 8 4 of which were infertile and 2 which died early on the other 2 are in lockdown today. i candled them before lockdown 1 was definantly moving unsure on the other one.
why are they so hard????

I'm not sure if they are harder to hatch, I have not tried to hatch any other breed. Sorry no help there. I have noticed that when I incubate, not all of the eggs hatch. They all seem to start developing, then some quit here and there. I have silkies that I know are very fertile (I have 1 roo with 2 hens) and have not had any eggs not develop in incubation. I would be willing to GIVE you eggs if you wanted to pay the $15 for shipping. I hate hearing a fellow BYC member getting frustrated spending money to incubate eggs that don't hatch, I've been there and know the feeling.

I agree,

I've hatched all different kinds of eggs and I find the most difficult to hatch are silkies and certain pheasant. Howver, stick silkie eggs under a silkie and youll get a 100% hatch.. It seems to me that maybe they are a little bit more temperamental?. It could be me.. I don't treat them any different than any other birds.
Go figure..
hu.gif
tongue.gif

You know I am having the SAME problem. I have had a few batches of eggs and only one or two not fertile or develop. I have got 2 batches of silkies and with one had 12 eggs and only 5 started to develop and then 8 eggs and only 3 have started. The others got 16 Welsummers with only 1 not start and 1 quitter, got 12 Polish with only 2 not start and no quitters. Have 12 Cochin and only 3 not start.. Grrrrr

I had 6 eggs in and only one hatched. It was my first time hatching eggs and I was disappointed that only one hatched. I love my 4 day old silkie but it needs siblings. I am not sure if I want to hatch again. I also cant find any silkie chicks right now for my baby.

I have found that silkies prefer lower humidity actually.....I keep mine between 35-45% durring incubation and then up it to 65-70% durring hatch...I just hatched out 16 chicks from 17 eggs! It seems to work for me.
wink.png

I have only hatched 4 times (once with a broody and three times with an incubator). Two of my hatches were silkies. I didn't find them harder to hatch than the other breeds.

Check your temp, humidity, etc.

Brinsea.com has a free downloadable incubation handbook that I recommend.

well my temp and humidity must be okay as i have hatched 8 other chicks of different breed this is why i dont know why they wont hatch.

I put my first batch of 8 Silkie eggs into the incubator yesterday...I know that I should candle at like 10 days right? If there is no movement, take them out or just leave them? What if because I am knew I screw up...I will be so upset. i'm pretty sure mine are fertile bc i've seen by boys and girls being "social". Also, what is "bloom" of the egg?

Back
Top Bottom