hatching silkies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cartersmith, Mar 7, 2011.

1. cartersmith

cartersmith In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Why are silkies so hard to hatch? i had a batch of 6 which failed to hatched seemed most died early on then had another batch of 6 and the same happened now i have a batch of 8 4 of which were infertile and 2 which died early on the other 2 are in lockdown today. i candled them before lockdown 1 was definantly moving unsure on the other one.
    why are they so hard????

2. I'm not sure if they are harder to hatch, I have not tried to hatch any other breed. Sorry no help there. I have noticed that when I incubate, not all of the eggs hatch. They all seem to start developing, then some quit here and there. I have silkies that I know are very fertile (I have 1 roo with 2 hens) and have not had any eggs not develop in incubation. I would be willing to GIVE you eggs if you wanted to pay the $15 for shipping. I hate hearing a fellow BYC member getting frustrated spending money to incubate eggs that don't hatch, I've been there and know the feeling.

MrsChicky55 and moxiechick101 like this.
  3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have only hatched 4 times (once with a broody and three times with an incubator). Two of my hatches were silkies. I didn't find them harder to hatch than the other breeds.

Check your temp, humidity, etc.

Brinsea.com has a free downloadable incubation handbook that I recommend.

4. cartersmith

cartersmith In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    well my temp and humidity must be okay as i have hatched 8 other chicks of different breed this is why i dont know why they wont hatch.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:No clue then, sorry! [​IMG]

6. horseyjess

horseyjess Songster

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    You know I am having the SAME problem. I have had a few batches of eggs and only one or two not fertile or develop. I have got 2 batches of silkies and with one had 12 eggs and only 5 started to develop and then 8 eggs and only 3 have started. The others got 16 Welsummers with only 1 not start and 1 quitter, got 12 Polish with only 2 not start and no quitters. Have 12 Cochin and only 3 not start.. Grrrrr

MrsChicky55 likes this.
  7. fishinchicken

fishinchicken In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    SWVA
    I put my first batch of 8 Silkie eggs into the incubator yesterday...I know that I should candle at like 10 days right? If there is no movement, take them out or just leave them? What if because I am knew I screw up...I will be so upset. i'm pretty sure mine are fertile bc i've seen by boys and girls being "social". Also, what is "bloom" of the egg?

8. mrslb333

mrslb333 Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I had the same problem over around 20 hatches setting 6 each time I ended up 6 birds that included some seriously deformed ones which I can only put down to interbreeding by the seller [​IMG]. I then decided to buy some adults that were a quite expensive but gorgeous and colours that I really wanted but had never hatched [​IMG]
    Then I got some in a lucky dip auction on Ebay all 6 hatched [​IMG] Tried again and 6/6 hatched 18 more in the bator at the moment 16 fertile I'm thinking it's down to the dry hatching which I do now [​IMG]

9. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Songster

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I find them hard to!!! out of 15 eggs 12 were fertile and only 3 hatched!!!! all females. my second hatch i got 12 eggs all were fertile. one hatched but it had its inside out so it died [​IMG]( i will now hatch one more time at the ebd of march

10. bluere11e

bluere11e Songster

Feb 8, 2011
    West Palm Beach
    I agree,

I've hatched all different kinds of eggs and I find the most difficult to hatch are silkies and certain pheasant. Howver, stick silkie eggs under a silkie and youll get a 100% hatch.. It seems to me that maybe they are a little bit more temperamental?. It could be me.. I don't treat them any different than any other birds.
    Go figure.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

PrincessAlexaLa and MrsChicky55 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: