Hatching store eggs experiment

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
Hey guys, I heard that it's possible to get at least one hatch from a store bought dozen. How likely is that actually? I would like to try it.

Hey guys, I heard that it's possible to get at least one hatch from a store bought dozen. How likely is that actually? I would like to try it.
It is very unlikely, unless you get some free range eggs. Even then, super unlikely. Some people can get 1 or 2 quail to hatch, but that's all I've seen. If you want to hatch eggs, I would find some from someone local, or order some fertile hatching eggs. :)

It is very unlikely, unless you get some free range eggs. Even then, super unlikely. Some people can get 1 or 2 quail to hatch, but that's all I've seen. If you want to hatch eggs, I would find some from someone local, or order some fertile hatching eggs. :)
Chicken eggs XD. I'm the most local person around my house XD

Chicken eggs XD. I'm the most local person around my house XD
Haha! Ok. Feel free to try it, but it's pretty unlikely you'll get any. You can crack open some store bought eggs and look for the bullseye.
Edited to fix some typos

Haha! Ok. Feel free to try it, but it's pretty unlikely you'll get any. You can crack open some store bought eggs and look for the bullseye.
Edited to fix some typos
I might if I actually do it. Lots going on these days with the virus after all.

The eggs from the store are pasteurized. The high heat would kill embryos. Also laying hens are put in tiny cages and there are no roosters in a laying confinement. No roosters = no chicks.

The vast majority of store bought eggs are laid by hens that are in all-female flocks. No roosters. Roosters eat food and take up space. They are not necessary for hens to lay eggs so why would a business spend money and take up space for something that has zero returns? The odds of regular store eggs hatching are pretty darn low.

I did not say impossible. A very few of the regular eggs could come from a flock that has a rooster. Maybe a hatchery would sell their excess eggs? Anything is possible but if you get one to hatch you should buy a lottery ticket. I'd expect one hatching would be about as rare as winning big in a lottery.

There is an old thread on here about hatching fertile eggs from Trader Joe's. They are sold as fertile eggs and people do get some of them to hatch. I consider it a good marketing ploy. Nutritionwise fertile eggs are no different form unfertile eggs but some people are willing to pay extra anyway. Maybe you can fine a "natural" store selling fertile eggs. It is unlikely they have been stored in a way that will make them good to hatch so don't expect good hatch rates, but people do get them to hatch.

You don't say where you are from, that limits specific suggestions, but you may be able to get fertile eggs from other sources. Even with the virus going on.

The vast majority of store bought eggs are laid by hens that are in all-female flocks. No roosters. Roosters eat food and take up space. They are not necessary for hens to lay eggs so why would a business spend money and take up space for something that has zero returns? The odds of regular store eggs hatching are pretty darn low.

I did not say impossible. A very few of the regular eggs could come from a flock that has a rooster. Maybe a hatchery would sell their excess eggs? Anything is possible but if you get one to hatch you should buy a lottery ticket. I'd expect one hatching would be about as rare as winning big in a lottery.

There is an old thread on here about hatching fertile eggs from Trader Joe's. They are sold as fertile eggs and people do get some of them to hatch. I consider it a good marketing ploy. Nutritionwise fertile eggs are no different form unfertile eggs but some people are willing to pay extra anyway. Maybe you can fine a "natural" store selling fertile eggs. It is unlikely they have been stored in a way that will make them good to hatch so don't expect good hatch rates, but people do get them to hatch.

You don't say where you are from, that limits specific suggestions, but you may be able to get fertile eggs from other sources. Even with the virus going on.
I'm a rhode islander

You are a quiet bunch. Many states have a pretty active thread. This is the best I could do for Rhode Island. You might try posting for hatching eggs anyway or maybe check Connecticut for their thread. It's not that much of a drive.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rhode-island.863726/page-25

You are in the US, that helps a lot. You can try calling your county extension office, there is a reasonable chance they will know someone local with hatching eggs.

You can try posting on Craigslist.

Chat with people at your feed store, they may know someone that can help. Or they might let you post a notice on a bulletin board.

Back
Top Bottom