Sponsored Post Hatching the Facts on Medicated Chick Starter Feeds for Layers

From my understanding there all kinds of pro's & con's about choosing medicated feed or not. Flip a coin. If you are Sure your chicks are as healthy as possible, I wouldn't use it & if you hatch your own chicks I wouldn't use medicated. As far as starter feed, it is better for younger birds because it does have added nutrients and doesn't have the calcium egg feed does. To much calcium can lead to problems in younger birds. It can cause kidney stones as well as other problems.Young birds don't need it. If you're adding youngsters to your existing flock, I would use starter feed for 8 weeks and just make sure I have added calcium available for my egg layers. Crushed oyster shells work fine for me. I also give them a treat of oatmeal & milk. I use instant, add the milk in a plastic cup, microwave for 1 minute and let it cool. It pops out of the cup like a cake. My older girls love it and devour it before the little ones can get near. I don't think the starter feed hurts the older birds at all.
frow.gif

Yes, PLEASE use caution when using DE and ALWAYS ALWAYS wear a mask! I didn't know much when starting out and was quite over zealous with the DE, allowing it to fly everywhere, of course while not wearing a mask, breathing all of it in. I turned up with a lung infection that just refused to do away and only got worse. I ended up having to get on antibiotics for several weeks to clear it up. So, while you are picking up that DE, stop in the hardware section and pick up a bag of masks!!! 

I just recently learned that there is a food grade and "industrial" grade version of DE... I don't know anything about this but I wonder how much different this is from the other??

Here's a question: the original post said that this won't make the eggs inedible if the hens get into a little of the feed, but what if you have a broody hen with chicks about to hatch and you want to offer only medicated feed for everyone? I have a bag of medicated feed leftover or else I would just buy unmedicated. If my 5 hens eat medicated feed exclusively (with oyster shell for calcium), will their eggs be safe to eat?

I have a dog daycare. I tell people anything you can buy at the supermarket is the equivalent of feeding your children nothing but potato chips. Purina is probably one of if not the worst you can get. I truly believe animals are what we feed them and how they are kept. Feed a dog Purina and don't provide fresh clean water see how long you have the dog vs a dog on Blue Buffalo and constant fresh water. I have never owned chickens till now, but imagine the concept is the same.

Last edited:
Class, is everyone paying attention?
For those who are new to nutritional 'value' please note... you 'get' what you pay for...especially in vet/medical bills.
Do your research if you don't want to 'buy' into it. If we fed children the way most of us feed our pets we'd be brought up on child abuse. She is 110% correct! Chicken math, I know.
I am OK with that.

Back
Top Bottom