Hatching turkey egg questions

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
I have five bourbon red turkey egg that I would like to hatch. I have one turkey hen, chickens and an Rcom20 incubator.
I would like the turkey to hatch these eggs as it would make the transition of putting them with her easier. My problem with the above is that it is still cold where I live, and if she doesn't take to them right away they will freeze.
With the chickens, would they get up after 21 days of setting? I'm kind of afraid to take that chance.
My incubator manual that I found on the internet doesn't give me much info. Does anyone know it it's forced or still air? If I decide to use it, what temp and humidity does it need to be, and what do I lower it to in 24 days? I've also read that the humidity needs to be raised to 80% on day 24, but I don't remember this unit getting over 70. Would this be a problem?
Sorry to ask so many questions. I just don't know which is the best way to go here. Thanks.

The best bet to get your hen to sit on them is if she is laying eggs. Wait till she has a nest with three or four in there and slip them in. If she's not laying eggs, she probably won't go broody. In fact, there's no reason for her to even look at the nest.

Chickens can do the job. I had a turkey abandon a nest so I threw the eggs under a broody chicken, They hatched.

To get extra humidity in your incubator, add sponges or wet towels. You can tell if its forced air or not by turning it on and listening for the fan. You can probably see the fan if its there.

Finally, how cold can it be in Kentucky now? Probably not cold enough to freeze eggs in a nest on the ground. I am collecting eggs frommy turkeys and I have chicken eggs in the nests to keep them laying there. It was 10 F last night, but eggs in the nest box on the ground with dry hay still didn't freeze. If I left them out on a table they might have, but the ground actually provides a little heat this time of year, and as long as the eggs are sheltered, they won't freeze.

So, you have options if you have broody birds.

Good Luck!

Turkey wouldn't sit in them, and ended up incubating. How soon after hatch do they need to eat/drink? Also, I know they need extra protein, so what special do I feed them and for how long? Thanks.

They won't need to eat for about 3 days since they will be living off their yolk reserves. But it should be eating by the end of day 2. I feed my poults 25 percent protein medicated turkey starter for ehh, 2 months then switch them to regular turkey feed roughly at that time.

I'm in process of hatching some turkey's only I am really struggling on the candling. Can you see the vein growth in Bourbon red/royal palm eggs? One is white with speckles an other breed is brown with darker speckles an it is making it very difficult lol

I'm in process of hatching some turkey's only I am really struggling on the candling. Can you see the vein growth in Bourbon red/royal palm eggs? One is white with speckles an other breed is brown with darker speckles an it is making it very difficult lol
I believe you can. Though I never have hatched eggs from a mix of those two breeds, wait until they are 9 days old to see definite blood vessels.

Oh sorry i should have been more clear LOL I have Bourbon eggs hatching an then I also have Royal Palm eggs hatching...their eggs are speckled so I'm not sure how to see the vein growth...or do i just use a stronger light?

Oh sorry i should have been more clear LOL I have Bourbon eggs hatching an then I also have Royal Palm eggs hatching...their eggs are speckled so I'm not sure how to see the vein growth...or do i just use a stronger light?
oh I see lol. How many days have they been the the incubator?

they have been in 15 days
Well if the eggs are fertile then you should definitely see some veining by now. Maybe you DO need a more powerful light. Also make sure your in a completely dark room without windows if you candle at daytime. Or just do it at night without the lights on.

Back
Top Bottom