Hatching turkeys and chicken eggs together?

Skunkmiser

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Raymond, NH
Well the 21st day will be friday for my eggs, but when i started them i threw 3 turkey eggs in my LG incubator for the heck of it and 2 out of three have a lil' occupant. I am supposed to remove turner and increase humidity today...So my question is is it really a big deal if i open my incubator to turn turkey eggs since they are supposed to be turned till friday from what i read? This is only my 2 attempt at hatching and the first time didn't reap any rewards.

You will get 100 diferent answers to this question. Turkey eggs incubate for 28 days, Chicken eggs for 21. It is best to leave the incubator closed for lockdown and hatching but in your case that will be tough to do. We just hatched out a mixed batch with turkeys and chicks but we placed the turkey eggs in the bator 7 days before we loaded in the chicks so they would all hatch at the same time. You will still need to roll the turkey eggs. They don't need to be rolled much so if you set the turkey eggs below one of the holes in the top of the incubator. Then when you need to roll them you can stick a wire or some other type of item through the hole to roll them around. Once the chicks start hatching, they will be climbing around in there and they will help roll eggs around. Once your chicks are done hatching and you transfer them to the brooder then you can put the turner back in ntil the turkeys are ready for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom