Hatching Turkey's

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
If you decide to keep a tom and a couple of hens will the hens incubate and hatch their own poults?

At what age will they lay or start laying?
And if they do, is there any special consideration to set up for them?

Also, I have never seen a turkey egg. What are they in comparison to the size of a chicken egg?

Hi,

Turkey eggs are larger than chickens and atleast for the breeds I have seen usually have brown speckles you will definatley be able to tell the difference. They usually start laying the spring after they were hatched not sure if a late fall hatch would also lay we usually do ours in the spring and by the following year they are laying. We dont really set up anything special they usually find there own place they like and we just kind of go with that. We have had one set and hatch her own but she was a horrible mother and we took them away. I would recommend just taking the eggs and incubating or giving them to a nice chicken.

Nicki

This should give you an idea of the size. The turkey egg is in the center.

eggtrio.jpg

Sharon

My BR's hatched last may. They are now laying. One started the end of Dec. and now all three are laying. No one has acted broody yet, although I did find a nest of 3, but no one was setting. They were laid by the door and were frozen. We have been eating them at this point, but I hope at least one of them will go broody and hatch as the weather gets warmer. Too cold now. I'm getting anxious for spring....
fl.gif

My Turkeys went broody and hatched the eggs but as soon as the babys were hatching the mommas stomped them, so I very much recommend you take the eggs as soon as they are ready to hatch or put them in an incubator and do the work yourself.

Thanks all. Any recommendation type on turkey to raise to lay eggs? And are they like chickens where they will lay with out a male or does the male need to be present?

So I read through the 22 some pages. Very good info. I still have questions though.

1: Bourban Reds / MW seem the way to go to use for eggs. What is the best rule for male/female ratio? I see most do groups of 3.
2: My plan would be to find someone to split an order with me. Maybe 7/8. I would like to keep the 3 if that is the magic number for eggs to hatch out when ready. How long can you hold eggs before putting them in the incubator to hatch? And if they will hatch their own what is the recommendation? Nest Boxes? Sizes? etc.
3: Did I read correctly that is takes about 10 months for one of these breeds to get to dinner weight?

Here is my plan for keeping them. All seasons. On occasion after I clip wings and get my electric fence will they be able to get some free ranging time. But I would say at least 80% of the time in something like this:

It is 4ft tall x 8ft wide x 12 ft long. Scroll down this page and you will see some examples. Forum would not let me load my images.
http://www.new-terra-natural-food.com/how-to-raise-chickens-book.html

Mine is similar but slightly different. In winter I would move this into my green house with my chickens and rabbits and section them off for the winter.

And if I would like to go with a bird that takes a shorter time from poult to table what would that be? I would still work to get 3 heritage to start my own little flock as I go.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a R P mix that makes the BEST mom, but a good broody hen is rare. She always laid 10 - 14 eggs before setting. She has raised more turks & chickens that I can count! Her mother hatched her own eggs, but a hail storm killed all but 1 ,& she abandoned it. We raised it in the house, & spoiled her rotten. Hey, maybe that's the secret?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom