Hatching two batches at the same time??? Doable?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachelpotter, Oct 13, 2014.

1. rachelpotter

rachelpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Is is feasible to hatch two different sets in the same incubator? Specifically... one set a week to ten days before the other?

Can you tell I'm DYING to hatch some eggs... like... NOW!

Rachel

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've done it in the past (far past) and the hatch % of the second batch was always impacted.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with sourland one set of eggs will suffer. Doing a stagered hatch in one incubator is difficult as optimum conditions for incubation will not be met. If you have a second incubator or hatcher it works better as eggs that need to go into lockdown can be transferred to it at the correct time and the incubator/hatcher not opened again untill after hatch is complete which is better for hatching chicks.
    Having to open the incubator to turn eggs that still require it (you would need to remove any turning mechanism during lockdown as chicks could become trapped in it) jeopardises your humidity for hatching eggs the chicks could become shrink wrapped because of the humidity falling every time you open it.
    It really is a catch 22 situation and is the reason why I don't personally like staggered hatches, it really is a risk.
    Wishing you the very best of luck :frow

4. rachelpotter

rachelpotter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    ok! Points taken. I just arranged for the eggs to ship and arrive at the same time....

I'm so bad with waiting! Thank you both for talking me down off the ledge!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by