Hatching two sets of eggs - UPDate

mhaines4102

Songster
11 Years
Jul 26, 2008
Stroud, Oklahoma
The answer is, don't do that. I know, but it's done.

So I built a bater. I put in some leghorn eggs to test with and everything is going well. The whole reason for the eggs was to test the bater and watch it perform because I was anxiously waiting some malay eggs. So I got the Malay eggs in and loaded them in the turner and realized that I didn't want to get rid of the 10 day old eggs. So now I have one set of eggs at 13 days and one set at 3 days. When I approach 18 days, I need to move humidity up (so I read) and stop the turner. I can stop the turner but do I need to build a hatcher. Someone told me that hatch quail eggs all the time like this. They stop turning the ones that will hatch and turn the ones that won't. I could set the turner up to turn 2 rows and leave 2 alone without increasing the humidity.

Would that work. Is the increase in humidity the last 3 days important??? All this because I couldn't throw out the eggs. Silly probably.

Last edited:
A hatcher is very handy...lots of big 'bator models have a hachting tray in the bottom for this reason...if you can stop some rows from tilting and still tilt others that would be great...just realize it can be a chore chasing those little beggars around in a bator made to fit eggs and not a bog ol' hand
tongue2.gif

when I am rotating my hatches I just let all the eggs keep turning..
In your case raise the humidity for the required time for the first eggs and then lower it again after they hatch..

for the later eggs take the turner out of the bator and lay the hatching eggs on the screen and do not open the bator again until the hatching is complete..

If you can rig up a hatcher that would be the best route to go, though..

Okay, here is where I am; I have separated 2 rows of my LG turner / home bater mod so that they will not turn the eggs while the others continue. I also candled the eggs and got rid of the ones that were not good. (3 of 12)
13675_bater-day18-turner.jpg

My temp is running at 99 or 100 back and forth and mu humidity is in the high fifties. The big range you see is from modifying the turner and candling the eggs.
13675_bater-day18-temp.jpg

My goal is to hatch these 9 but not damage the other 14 in the bater. They are actually the important ones. I hope I am doing okay.

Any concerns?

Personally, I would build a hatcher. That way each set can have the proper humidity, and the first set of eggs will not contaminate the second set with bacteria when they hatch. JMHO

You should be ok. My DH just got me a Sportsman 1502 with the hatcher in the bottom... and I had the same question... how can you hatch at a higher humidity when you're still incubating other eggs? They just said to increase the humidity for the hatch, then drop it back down again afterwards. The 1502 actually makes 6 incubators for me... 3 homemades are used as hatchers most of the time, so that the others can keep turning. That's really the best way to do it. Well, other than a broody.
tongue.png

You should be fine, as long as you don't bump the humidity WAYYY up, like 80%. Keep it in the 65% range and you should do ok.
fl.gif
good luck!

yeah, you are in fine shape..

there are always better ways to do anything.. don't worry about it....

if adequate works, better is not necessary..

So far 4 hatched, 1 pipped and 4 to go. So far, so okay... I had one that has it's belly open a little and it's intestines look like they are out. There is no blood and I am hoping it survives, but I don't give it much of a chance. The others look good and are all moving around good. With the fifth pipped, I am hopeful. It was 21 days tonight at about 7.

Glad you are having a great hatch, I would make sure to bring your humidity down when the hatch is done and not worry about. I have done staggered hatches and really haven't seen a problem.

Congrats on your little fluffers! I too am working on my very first hatch that also happens to be staggered.

The first group hatched this past Tuesday. The second group is due to hatch this Wednesday, 1/21. I candled the 2nd group tonight and see movement in all, so I'm hoping that the humidity and hatching of the first group won't affect the second! So far, so good.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom