Hatching under a broody hen info! Help!

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
I have hatched eggs before in an incubator, but not under a broody hen. How does this work? I know it's getting colder outside but I'm planning on moving them inside. (I have a plan lol) How does broody hen hatch work? The main thing I'm worried about is humidity. I do have an incubator just in case the hen decides to give up....Any tips would be really appreciated!! Thanks!!

You don't have to do anything, really. Hens are designed to do this! Just give her some eggs and a safe, cozy place to sit and keep the incubator on stand-by, should something happen.

I recently hatched some bantams under a broody hen so hopefully I can help you out, firstly collect the amount of eggs you are going to give her , store them pointy end down until you've got the amount you want. I separated the broody hen from the flock and placed all the eggs in the nest and let her sit on them, you don't really have to worry about temp or humidity and the hen will provide this for the eggs, she will also turn them. During this time she will not eat or drink much and will only move from the nest to poop, eat, and drink. I candeled the eggs after a week and disposed of the infertile ones.my hen was kept outside and her coop door was left open so she had the chance to go outside for a break , however on day 18 I shut the coop in preparation for the arrival of the chicks, hope this has helped :)

I recently hatched some bantams under a broody hen so hopefully I can help you out, firstly collect the amount of eggs you are going to give her , store them pointy end down until you've got the amount you want. I separated the broody hen from the flock and placed all the eggs in the nest and let her sit on them, you don't really have to worry about temp or humidity and the hen will provide this for the eggs, she will also turn them. During this time she will not eat or drink much and will only move from the nest to poop, eat, and drink. I candeled the eggs after a week and disposed of the infertile ones.my hen was kept outside and her coop door was left open so she had the chance to go outside for a break , however on day 18 I shut the coop in preparation for the arrival of the chicks, hope this has helped
smile.png
Thanks sumi!

xxsamigirlxx - I'm only hatching 1 egg because I'm going to be getting more around the time of the hatch from a friend. I really wanted to hatch an egg under a hen because of the experience and I'm a little lazy to break a broody hen! lol So is that okay that it's only 1 egg? Thanks btw like I said I have a plan lol

Yeah you can put just the one egg underneath her, however the more eggs you put under the greater chance of getting fertile eggs, so if you only put one under and it isn't fertile then you have nothing to work with if that makes sense

Yeah you can put just the one egg underneath her, however the more eggs you put under the greater chance of getting fertile eggs, so if you only put one under and it isn't fertile then you have nothing to work with if that makes sense
I am getting the egg from mypetchicken.com:) I heard it's a really recommended website but dang expensive! lol I ordered a bantam silkie because the broody hen is a bantam. :)

How long can fertile eggs wait for a broody hen and stay viable? How should they be stored? I do not have a rooster but am thinking of trying to hatch a few chicks for the very frist time the next time my cochin goes broody. I will need to buy eggs and am not sure how to time everything right.

It depends really, usually up to ten days, store them pointy end down in an egg box, at room temperature, make sure they're kept away from extreme temperatures. If you are buying eggs store them like this for 24 hours to let them settle, then place them under your broody hen

Quote: I would leave her in the coop. All my hens hatch out in the coop. No one bothers them, they may lay when she gets up, but you can remove those. Or you can get a dog kennel and put it in your coop. All of my hens have their babies out on day two of the hatch. They are in with the others so there is no integration issues. I have two hens out in my coop now with 2 roosters and 10 hens and 4 teens, between the two hens they have 18 chicks no one bothers them. They learn where all buggy honey holes are. It is a
woot.gif
watching a mom try to watch over 12 chicks. She is doing a great job. The Marans has 6 and is doing fantastic job also. It is a blast to watch, they don't let anyone to close, unless they trust them. Have fun give her a few. I wouldn't move her.

Back
Top Bottom