Hatching under hen in summer

hanneke

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2010
Hope my heading even makes sense. This is my first time with a broody hen.

I have a broody hen ( Easter egger) and put 3 fertilized eggs from my neighbor under her.
She’s sitting in one of my nesting boxes and the others leave her alone. All of these hens were hatched last December so they’re only about 6 months.

Its going to get hot next week, 90F+. What should I do? I read no eggs will develop to hatching above a certain temp. But I also read not to move the hen?

Any advice is appreciated.

I've had hens hatch in that weather and they did OK. Remember, incubation temperature is about 99.5 F, not 90 F. You are not there yet.

I suggest you try what I did when the temperatures were getting over 100 F, leave the hen alone and let her do her job. You might be pleasantly surprised at how well she does. Let us know how it goes.

Some hens know to alter how they're positioned to allow the temperature to lower. Some buckle down so determedly that they broil their eggs. Sometimes they learn how to hatch in hot temperatures and sometimes they don't

Remember, incubation temperature is about 99.5 F, not 90 F. You are not there yet.
And that's under forced air conditions.. in my still air incubators I run 102 consistently with excellent hatches.

The internal (not belly) temperature of hens is about 105-107 according to my research and understanding..

I personally got no reason to let a hen that young sit in high egg season. She'll do it again.

Moving her may very well break her from sitting, trying to get back to her original nest.. probably the reason it's not generally recommended.. 3 eggs is a less than ideal amount for me.. but..

Adventure ON! Happy hatching! :wee

And that's under forced air conditions.. in my still air incubators I run 102 consistently with excellent hatches.

The internal (not belly) temperature of hens is about 105-107 according to my research and understanding..

I personally got no reason to let a hen that young sit in high egg season. She'll do it again.

Moving her may very well break her from sitting, trying to get back to her original nest.. probably the reason it's not generally recommended.. 3 eggs is a less than ideal amount for me.. but..

Adventure ON! Happy hatching! :wee
Thanks. I have no experience with this but have put her in an elevated cool dog kennel inside for 48 hours. She’s fine for a bit after that but then she goes back to being broody in about 10 days. If this doesn’t work it’s no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom