Hatching Updates for this weekend, MORE PICS!!!

One grey silkie chick hatched out about 7:20 p.m., the second pipped egg is still thinking about. It was so exciting to watch. Wife and daughter watched the hatching with me. Gotta run and watch the 'bator some more.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Yay Donald! Congrats! Good luck with the rest also, I imagine by morning we'll have more updates?

I have 4 hatched: 2 buff orps, either black australorp or araucana for the other 2 (?? the only 2 eggs that weren't marked & the chicks are still slimy -time will tell!). What an experience, I can safely say I'm wiped out & if more hatch overnight that's fine; else I'll be back hovering over the bator 1st thing in the a.m.! Turned off the light in the "hatching closet" & the rambunctious hellions calmed down almost immediately!
clap.gif
The size difference in the breeds is interesting also - the buffs are quite a bit larger than the others.

Have fun with your babies!

Yes, the size differences are incredible. Last spring I bought chicks at the feed store. The Silkies that are hatching now look so tiny compared to the full sized chicks I bought last spring. Then again these Silkies are bantams, too. I had some bantam chicks in the spring, including broody Betty, but I guess I just don't remember that they were probably this small, too.
The first and only 'bator Silkie chickie that has hatched is about half dried and fluffy now. It's a grey color with what looks like a dark mask on. I caught the cute little thing standing in front of the recycled computer fan that I have in the incubator. It kept moving its head side to side in front of the fan like someone styling their hair with a blow dryer.
smile.png
It has quite a little pompadour on its head already.

I'm going to try to camp out by the 'bator tonight.

WOW! Well, I didn't get to sleep early AT ALL as it seems I'd look in one last time to find a zipped chick ready to join us.
jumpy.gif
SO of course I had to watch!

Finally thought it was "safe" to go to bed around 3 a.m. - nothing looked too far along. So I went to sleep (of course in the same room with the chicks, on the futon
lau.gif
) and am kind of waking up now. Eyes are blurry but I think there are 15 or 16 little fluffy butts jumping around in there!!!
clap.gif
th.gif
lau.gif
All healthy as can be, crazy strong too!!

One of the babies, a RIR and at the time I hadn't had one of those hatch yet and I really really wanted at least one ....I think it was 2 am'ish and she was really worrying me, she just seemed really weak and not like the others so I finally gave her a couple of drops of "Nutri Drench" and the difference was night and day. That's it tho, other than the exciting emotional drain of watching this all happen after 21 LONG days (!) all these babies have been healthy!!

Oh, and these are hinckjc's eggs (Jody) - congrats Jody, your babies are here.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I think there'll be a few more today too!!!! Not a bad hatch so far from 24 eggs...and yesterday after I had 3 I convinced myself if none other hatched I'd be happy.
lau.gif
lau.gif
suuuuuuuure!!

Donald, how was your night?? Anyone else here that was hatching this weekend?? Oh, tsagirl, wonder what's up with her? Gahhh, badly in need of coffee. Will look for updates from everyone!

woot.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif

Congrats on the great hatch! I am so happy you got so many chicks. You are going to have your hands full. BTW..if you're not sure on the black ones, count the blue eggs. Araucana would have come from a blue egg and Austr from a brown egg. Great job hatching my grandchickies!
jumpy.gif

Jody

Ok thanks Jody! I did not have any blue eggs.
sad.png
The blk aus are beautiful! So are the RIR's, the buff orps, and all the others!
lau.gif
I think I at least have one SLW so far. Boy that incubator is getting FULL!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Here I am with only 4 hrs of sleep! Well good news is there are 9 pips!
But some are from 7pm last night!! I am worried even though they look to be breathing well. Some have broken the egg but the shell is still covering them and one baby in paticular has pipped and has not stopped moving in the shell, I am afraid he might be to big. I dont want to touch though cause its day 21 now.
What are anyones thoughts here? Man I need sleep...but they are a noisy bunch! LOL

fl.gif

Whatever you do..don't open that bator. If humidity and temp are good, you're chickies will hatch just fine on their own. Good luck with your hatch!

Jody

Back
Top Bottom