Hatching vs purchasing chicks

I think hatching would be amazing for the kids to watch!

Check facebook for local places to buy eggs. My area has several active hobby farmers and chicken pages that always have lots of breeds available from local breeders. These groups are also going to be extremely helpful when you have to rehome the roosters.

I don't dare even think about incubating! I know I'd be hatching chicks left and right and I am already overwhelmed with projects and caretaking responsibilities to add one more thing to my plate.
I loved the "buying day old chicks route" because it allowed me to get all the breeds I wanted to try. I will ultimately have a flock of about 25-26 birds of comprised of 16 different breeds.
In subsequent springs, I will allow anyone who goes broody to hatch some eggs to replenish my pullets for the upcoming winter.
But if you don't want cockerels or roosters, you should most certainly just purchase sexed pullet chicks either on-line or from a local farm store. If you hatch, you will have to deal with the cockerels from that hatch.
Here is a small sampling of my flock.
chickens-3.jpg

We got into hatching last year for the first time. It was so much fun and we learned a lot. We'd had chickens for about 7 years at that point. Those were purchased from hatcheries or farm stores.

Source eggs as close to you as possible. I live in the West and won't order more than 1 state away. check out classifieds, homesteading, neighborhood and Facebook groups. All good possibilities for good quality eggs.

The biggest reason for this is because shipped eggs have a low hatch rate even with the best incubator and most knowledgeable Hatcher. Starting out usually you have cheap equipment and are very much learning as you go (temp, humidity, candling, turning, hatching). Adding in shipped eggs really creates too many variables for a successful or enjoyable hatch. Hatching is not for the faint of heart.

My kids 6,8 LOVE hatching. This year it's going to be my 8 year old daughter's side hustle. She's going to run the incubator on her own and can sell whatever she hatches. We have 2 breeding groups of Marans (one BCM, one BBS). I think she should be able to get at least $5-7 a chick straight run in our area.

I would not underestimate the excitement of getting "the call" and zipping off to the Post Office to pick up chicks! Then listening to their peeps and you drive home. Opening the box and meeting the chicks for the first time is priceless! You and the kids would love it!

Post an update with whatever you decide. Chickens are th best.

So many good responses here. And one thing that I can definitely agree on, both can be addicting!!!!! Its so crazy fun, especially when you have the setup to get the birds bred and hatching out your own eggs.

If you can't decide on either... Why not both? Get yourself a few female chicks from either your local farm store or any reputable hatcheries, and try getting some eggs to incubate too.

You have to keep in mind with incubation, that there is always a chance you will get very low hatch rates for whatever reason. So there is some risk factor when incubating your eggs, but still definitely worth a try. Then if you ever get the opportunity, get yourself a rooster and start your own breeding!

I bought my first batch of RIR chicks 4 years ago. Raising them was a lot of fun but they were nervous and never really bonded with me.
Three years ago I started hatching my own chicks and the process was amazing. I learned so much, and will never tire of watching a chick pop out of the shell.
I also found that the chicks were relaxed and not fearful of me.
It would be a great experience for your whole family.
I get some of my eggs from friends that keep chickens and also from craigs list. Check the listing in your area for hatching eggs.

I wasn’t able to find any local hatcheries (other than “Pilgrims Pride hatchery” and that defeats the purpose of live chickens LOL) so I ordered from one in Tennessee. And they were able to send me hatching eggs from the 2 specific breeds I want. My husband is excited about DIYing an incubator and has been obsessively looking on YouTube.

For those who asked, we live right smack in the middle of the state, in Clarendon Co. (We’ve also been in national news thanks to a recent murder victim being found here. So sad)

I ordered 12 eggs of each breed, with the goal of 3 hens from each. We may keep a rooster, and I already have a few friends tell me to keep them in mind for other roosters.

So here goes nothing! LOL. The eggs will ship the end of April, giving us plenty of time (and motivation!) to get everything done

Since this is the only time we *plan* to do this, I’ve tried finding someone to loan us an incubator with no success. But the building of one seems like it might be a good project for DH and our 13 year old to tackle together. I just might need more wine to deal with all of THAT

Hatching is so much fun, especially with kids. Candling the eggs is amazing (that's my favourite part). It's nerve wracking waiting for them to hatch (be prepared to waste most of those final days hovering over the incubator waiting for something to happen), but so satisfying.

Back
Top Bottom