Hatching while I'm on vacation

chickengumbo

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Bad timing... eggs are set to hatch around July 5, the day I leave for a 5 day vacation. I have a broody sitting on them in the coop with 3 other hens. Should I leave everything as is and hope for the best? Should I transfer mama and the eggs into an xl dog kennel left inside the coop? I'm freaking out! Help!

Let me know how it goes, I’m in the exact same scenario as you but July 15 is our hatch day. This is my first time doing this and clearly didn’t have the timing right! It’s my head hen too, residing with 2 other hens in the coop.

Let me know how it goes, I’m in the exact same scenario as you but July 15 is our hatch day. This is my first time doing this and clearly didn’t have the timing right! It’s my head hen too, residing with 2 other hens in the coop.
Will do!

Out of context, but your hatch day is my birthday! Anyhow, when incubating with a broody, its important that the nest is NOT above ground, that can be fatal. Chicks would most likely fall out...

How did you vacation hatch go?
I ended up getting nervous and putting mama and the eggs into a dog kennel. Seems to have worked well. She has enough room to move about freely but they are a little safer in there. All 4 hatched but one chick died the day after we got home. The other 3 are thriving!

Back
Top Bottom