Hatching with 2 broodies

Ruh roh . . .I posted some pictures in the "what sex is this?" forum and the only response so far is for two cockerels! Maybe I've been wrong all along! In any case, it's still too early to tell, but those combs are troubling, especially Daisy's pink one.
Very much regretting not just getting an 8-month-old laying red star back in September when I had the chance, but then, I see my little family of four together. . .
Ah well, I guess I'll just keep waiting and seeing and keep my ears open for good rooster homes . . .
Doh! Yeah, it is probably still to early to tell. Still got the fingers crossed for you Liz!
smile.png

Well that was fun - NOT! We just had a huge storm go through, torrential rain and yep, Cilla did not take the bubbies into the dry coop but decided to shelter under some shade-cloth (not waterproof). I had to don the rain coat and crawl into a muddy run picking up soggy babies and mumma and putting them into the coop. Thunder, lightening, torrential rain and useless rain coat; I reckon I would have been a very funny sight! Then I'm still out there drying them as well as I could with a chamois and they are now tucked up in their dry coop on dry straw. They seem to be drying out. Poor little munchkins were shivering a little before I ran the chamois over them but not so much now. I think they are going to be OK; I, on the other hand, look like a half drowned rat and will probably catch a chill. Bourbon time I reckon!

Well that was fun - NOT! We just had a huge storm go through, torrential rain and yep, Cilla did not take the bubbies into the dry coop but decided to shelter under some shade-cloth (not waterproof). I had to don the rain coat and crawl into a muddy run picking up soggy babies and mumma and putting them into the coop. Thunder, lightening, torrential rain and useless rain coat; I reckon I would have been a very funny sight! Then I'm still out there drying them as well as I could with a chamois and they are now tucked up in their dry coop on dry straw. They seem to be drying out. Poor little munchkins were shivering a little before I ran the chamois over them but not so much now. I think they are going to be OK; I, on the other hand, look like a half drowned rat and will probably catch a chill. Bourbon time I reckon!

Aw, that does not sound fun at all! I guess that's the downside with cross-breed brooding! No one told Cilla she had to look after gremlins!

Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed for me, Teila. Now, all I see when I look at the chicks are cockerel signs, when before, all I saw were pullets. Who knew raising chickens could mess with my brain, as well as my heart!

G'Day Team Broody!
frow.gif

OK, so I am going to bite the bullet and make a prediction ... I reckon I have 2 boys, 2 girls and a still unsure lol.

I was always going to keep two girls (if I had them) so while having to get rid of any of them is going to be very sad; if I am right, the choice will have been made for me. Tina is still on the girl list! woo hoo; I hope I am right!

I have progressed from 'accidental touches' to picking one up of an evening and having a cuddle. The little one I picked up this evening was cuddling into my neck; hiding in my hair .. soooo cute!

I am off to have a look at the Silkie Sexing site I subscribe to and make some notes of the types of pictures they need to advise on gender and even though I know it is still way too early to tell, I might try and get some pictures on the weekend and post them for an opinion.
[Postscript: had a look, still too early! lol]

Hubby was home today so he let Cilla and Dusty out for a free range; Cilla was away from the bubbies for 3 hours and apparently they were quite happy doing their own thing. Reunited for bed time and cuddles now though :)

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like everyone has been busy! Sorry I have been MIA for so long. We have been busy with family health crisis. We just had first chick hatch yesterday on my daughter's fourth birthday! Awesome present! Guess my homemade fishtank incubator is working! Will post pictures along the way. Hope everyone enjoys their upcoming Thanksgiving holidays!

Congrats on your hatch, Psychomama! I hope to see some cuter pictures of your chicks soon.

Aw, Teila, your posts are making me jealous! After all the time and angst I've pored into my broody hatch, I haven't gotten any cuddles, and may not even be able to keep any of them! Neither of the babies is happy about being picked up, but Daisy calmed down a little yesterday, but I don't think I could call it a cuddle. I really need to make sure I have a high-value treat on me next time I try.
What a difference a BYC-thread makes! Since two random people told me I have two cockerels, I see my chicks so differently! They don't look entirely like cockerels to me, but they don't look entirely like pullets either. And, it's almost like I'm mad at them right now - like I'm resentful that they may be turning male on me, and don't want to pour the attention on them anymore. Poor little guys! (not that they care - I'm not their broody mama!)

Frida is like the opposite of Cilla. She sleeps on the roost at night, but still spends the day interacting with and teaching the chicks about stuff - showing them the best treats, etc. Rousseau is on board for both - still in the nest with them and still teaching them. No free-ranging for them today, in any case, because we're having a much-much-needed rain storm - the first in these little guys' experience. They seem to be taking it in stride. I'm relieved, because I managed to move several yards of mulch that was in my driveway (long story) just in time, and now my hilly yard is well-mulched and my car is dry in the garage! Life on the farm: much harder when you're doing it solo, but oh so satisfying, if it ever goes well! Now, if only the chicken farm would function properly. ;)

Aw, Teila, your posts are making me jealous! After all the time and angst I've pored into my broody hatch, I haven't gotten any cuddles, and may not even be able to keep any of them! Neither of the babies is happy about being picked up, but Daisy calmed down a little yesterday, but I don't think I could call it a cuddle. I really need to make sure I have a high-value treat on me next time I try.
What a difference a BYC-thread makes! Since two random people told me I have two cockerels, I see my chicks so differently! They don't look entirely like cockerels to me, but they don't look entirely like pullets either. And, it's almost like I'm mad at them right now - like I'm resentful that they may be turning male on me, and don't want to pour the attention on them anymore. Poor little guys! (not that they care - I'm not their broody mama!)

Frida is like the opposite of Cilla. She sleeps on the roost at night, but still spends the day interacting with and teaching the chicks about stuff - showing them the best treats, etc. Rousseau is on board for both - still in the nest with them and still teaching them. No free-ranging for them today, in any case, because we're having a much-much-needed rain storm - the first in these little guys' experience. They seem to be taking it in stride. I'm relieved, because I managed to move several yards of mulch that was in my driveway (long story) just in time, and now my hilly yard is well-mulched and my car is dry in the garage! Life on the farm: much harder when you're doing it solo, but oh so satisfying, if it ever goes well! Now, if only the chicken farm would function properly. ;)
Hey Psychomama .. big congrats on the bubby! :)
Novice question: did you have to help that one out of the egg? Just wondering because the first bubby I saw, while still a little wet, was fluffing out and didn't have the eeewy (sorry, couldn't think of a better word) stuff around it. You Tube videos I have watched, the chicks are moving around and not still in the 'foetal' position? That one doesn't look like it broke itself out?

Tee hee Liz, sorry to make you jealous, I have read that Silkies are the Teddy Bears of the chicken world. Just wondering though, being part Gremlin also, if I pick up a wet one will it bite me in the neck? lolz

Aaaw, don't give up on girls .. I've seen pictures of fully grown chickens and before reading the comment, thought hhhhm, that is a nice looking rooster and the comments say "[insert name] just laid her first egg"!
I have given up on trying to guess what I have, boys or girls, my head is spinning with all the 'things' to look for and half of them contradict each other ... Silkies are too hard! Going back to waiting for crowing or egg !!

Isn't it funny how they have different ideas on raising their bubbies. Cilla had a test-perch on the roost last night but then still cuddled up with them in the straw. She laid another egg yesterday, got one from her and one from Dusty.

Enjoy the rain! Yesterday was our first rain-free day for over a week but we really needed it also. My lawn was so brown but now, after a week, nice and green and lush again :) More storms predicted this evening; for my sake, hopefully after everyone has gone to bed!
hmm.png

Aaaw, don't give up on girls .. I've seen pictures of fully grown chickens and before reading the comment, thought hhhhm, that is a nice looking rooster and the comments say "[insert name] just laid her first egg"!
I have given up on trying to guess what I have, boys or girls, my head is spinning with all the 'things' to look for and half of them contradict each other ... Silkies are too hard! Going back to waiting for crowing or egg !!
Haha - maybe you're right! Patience has never been my virtue, but this could be a good lesson in it for me. I just saw in another post someone saying that their chicks had all the traits of pullets in an easily sexed breed, and then BYC people keep saying "nice roo" when they see a picture! So nice to know I'm not alone, even if I don't know exactly what I'm sharing at the moment!

Liz I have no idea what is out there either so you are not alone. Silver Penciled Wyandotte chicks don't show real differences until about 6 weeks
th.gif
and my little mutt is a big question mark too. I can tell you that as of yesterday no one had a pink comb I stand out there studying them and just confusing myself with what seem to be conflicting signs.

Teila glad you are getting cuddles. Broody raised babies are easier overall but harder to tame so these three still think I am going to kill them. Usually mama takes the treat from my hand and gives it to them...acing me out of the picture but eventually the will learn that I am the source of lots of good things and they will calm down...I hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom