Hatching with 2 broodies

When the winds of life bring storms it's our friends that see us thru it.

Thanks everyone who gave advice and comfort during this awful couple days. If I had it to do over again I would of done many things different but I have decided not to look back and to look forward.

Out of seven eggs we gave Layla she has one lone survivor.She is a beautiful Brabanter. Her name is going to be Antie Emm in honor of the one that I got to take care of for less than a day. I dont mean to sound overly dramatic about this, please forgive me, I get attached at first sight and that broke my heart.

Enough said....

Layla is being a good mama to Emm and the two of them are adorable together. My question would be, Is one chick with mama ok or should I try and get her a day old chick from the feed store so she doesnt grow up alone. She is pretty special and I thought I read somewhere it is not good to just have one chick.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Marie

She is pretty special and I thought I read somewhere it is not good to just have one chick.
Any thoughts?

I thought the rule about MORE than one chick applied to chicks kept in a brooder, obviously one chick would be very very lonely.

Your chick has a mama and other grown chickens so she isn't alone. Having said that if you think Layla will accept a feed store chick maybe you should get one, Layla is a first time mother and when it is time for the chick to be on its own without a mom to protect him/her then it might be hard for a singleton.

But don't you have more hatching in a few days?

Last edited:
I thought the rule about MORE than one chick applied to chicks kept in a brooder, obviously one chick would be very very lonely.

Your chick has a mama and other grown chickens so she isn't alone. Having said that if you think Layla will accept a feed store chick maybe you should get one, Layla is a first time mother and when it is time for the chick to be on its own without a mom to protect him/her then it might be hard for a singleton.

But don't you have more hatching in a few days?
I do have 2 other broodys sitting on eggs, I havent candled the eggs so I dont know if any are good. I am going to try and candle them tonight to see. If they are good that means Penny should be hatching in about 11 days. I will have to check my calender to make sure. I called the feed store and they said one chick with the broody mama is ok also. Just didnt know if it would bond with others after Layla is finished mothering or it would be a loner.
Marie

When the winds of life bring storms it's our friends that see us thru it.

Thanks everyone who gave advice and comfort during this awful couple days. If I had it to do over again I would of done many things different but I have decided not to look back and to look forward.

Out of seven eggs we gave Layla she has one lone survivor.She is a beautiful Brabanter. Her name is going to be Antie Emm in honor of the one that I got to take care of for less than a day. I dont mean to sound overly dramatic about this, please forgive me, I get attached at first sight and that broke my heart.

Enough said....

Layla is being a good mama to Emm and the two of them are adorable together. My question would be, Is one chick with mama ok or should I try and get her a day old chick from the feed store so she doesnt grow up alone. She is pretty special and I thought I read somewhere it is not good to just have one chick.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Marie
My very first broody didnt hatch her chicks... So I bought her one and she raise that one. The chick had mamas full attention!

Day 1 together (8-21-13)

10-01-13

4-21-14
R.I.P Mufasha
They were inseparable. When mama died, Starburst went into depression and a new friend came along and they cant be apart! <3
So its okay to have single kids with a broody! It worked out for these two.

Thank you FarmerViola, for the advice. As I called my boys in for supper, I popped back into the coop and barricaded one mom into the nesting tote (she had gotten back in on her own) and kept the other mom and 3 chicks out. It worked! Peeking out from under mama's wing is a tiny ball of tired fluff! The first chick hatched 8 days ago. We started with 27 eggs and are down to 10 now with 4 live chicks. Yay!

ShelbyCoral your chickens are beautiful! I love the bond they had, too. So sweet!

Thank you FarmerViola, for the advice. As I called my boys in for supper, I popped back into the coop and barricaded one mom into the nesting tote (she had gotten back in on her own) and kept the other mom and 3 chicks out. It worked! Peeking out from under mama's wing is a tiny ball of tired fluff! The first chick hatched 8 days ago. We started with 27 eggs and are down to 10 now with 4 live chicks. Yay!

ShelbyCoral your chickens are beautiful! I love the bond they had, too. So sweet!
Awh! CUTE!!!! Pictures soon!!!!! What kind of Hen? Do you know the kind of chicks? Ah! I am so happy for you!

I'll have to get pictures of my now new mama and her 11 adopted babies... She has only seen 2 so Hopefully she likes them all. When she was talking to the two, I just squealed cause I was so happy.
I picked them out from my hatched out chicks! FINGERS CROSSED!
fl.gif

Awh! CUTE!!!! Pictures soon!!!!! What kind of Hen? Do you know the kind of chicks? Ah! I am so happy for you!

I'll have to get pictures of my now new mama and her 11 adopted babies... She has only seen 2 so Hopefully she likes them all. When she was talking to the two, I just squealed cause I was so happy.
I picked them out from my hatched out chicks! FINGERS CROSSED!
fl.gif

My camera battery died; I need to charge it tonight! The new one is a dark chick with a Black Giant mama. It would have been nearly impossible to get a picture, but I will try in the morning! The chick could be a mix of any of 8 breeds of hen along with 2 different roos.

I hope your mama loves her new adopted babies when she meets them!

My very first broody didnt hatch her chicks... So I bought her one and she raise that one. The chick had mamas full attention!

Day 1 together (8-21-13)

10-01-13

4-21-14
R.I.P Mufasha
They were inseparable. When mama died, Starburst went into depression and a new friend came along and they cant be apart! <3
So its okay to have single kids with a broody! It worked out for these two.
Thanks ShelbyCoral,
I appreciate your thoughts on it.
Beautiful pictures and I am sorry about mama. Glad to hear from you again. I was wondering how you were. Good luck with your new mama and babies. Get some pictures soon.
Marie

@16paws yeah, long time no talk! Been busy with the farm. Sadly we lost 3 chicks this morning. 2 died in my basement in my hands... I was cryin. Cute fussy butts... :( and another from both broodies. The chick was in the egg but I think the bigger hen stepped and CrackEd it open. It was fully developed and was ready to hatch. So i separated the two broods. Gave the Seramas 11 chicks and the big hen can hatch out the last of the eggs that start hatching this weekend.

How have you been? Hens doing well?

Back
Top Bottom