Hatching with a hen on a nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swamp Slinger, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Swamp Slinger

Swamp Slinger New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    I have a hen on 10 eggs. She started going broody on March 22nd so I thought I would put her to work.

I have a special spot to put my nest away from the general population. It's almost like a porch to the coop. I keep my bedding and feed in there.

One day I was feeding and I left the door open between the two rooms. I didn't notice that Mumma had left the nest and entered the coop.

When I was finished feeding, I closed the door and left for the day. It was at least 8 hours before I noticed she wasn't on the nest.

She had been on the eggs for around 12 day's. The temperature in the nest was around 4 Celsius that day. ( we got snow and it was unusually cold).

The eggs should be set to hatch next Tuesday, April 12th.

Do you think they would have survived after being left alone for that long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Swamp Slinger

Swamp Slinger New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Nothing from anybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Considering the elapsed time, and the weather I think it is a lost cause but with only 4 or 5 days remaining to hatch time go ahead and let the hen get over being broody by letting her sit. You may not get any live biddies but you may learn something.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Try candeling them to see if there is any movement inthere, maybe then embryos survived.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    IME, hens that are new to sitting can sometimes get it wrong. I usually let my hen be broody for a while before setting eggs. My rule of thumb for her is 2 nights in the nest - then its game on. With a new broody, it may be worth waiting a little longer and even then, theres no guarantee that she'll do it right.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by