hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DIADV5, Jun 29, 2011.

1. DIADV5

DIADV5 New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    I have an egg, the chick pecked open the top I guess, in incubator, but there is blood in eggshell..is it dead?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    It may be dead and might not be. I am confused is the egg in a rack or turner or laying on its side in the incubator?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. DIADV5

DIADV5 New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    iT WAS UPRIGHT IN THE INCUBATOR...

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm sorry I am confused too... the egg is in the incubator and the chick is in the egg still? Where do you see the blood?

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'm guessing you mean the chick has pipped the shell and you can see blood on the membrane where it has pipped? That happens when the chick pecks through a blood vessel in the membrane that hasn't yet dried up. Sometimes the chick will bleed to death, sometimes it will be just fine. Can you see any movement? Hear any peeping? Best thing to do is.... well, nothing.... as you can't really do anything to help the chick at this stage.

If it's any reassurance, I recently lent my bator to a 7 year old friend, who got a bit over excited come hatch time, and tried to 'help' a pipped chick out of its shell. She peeled off a small chunk of shell, the egg bled quite a lot, she put it back in the bator, and it ended up hatching out just fine a day or so later.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by