Hatchling head injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Puranin, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Puranin

Puranin Chirping

Dec 8, 2016
    Tennessee
    Not sure how or what happened. This little one hatched earlier today. I checked on mama and saw this ones head was bleeding. I brought it in and put it in a brooder. I don't really want to take it from mama but was worried about the baby getting hurt. She is alert and running around and the bleeding has stopped but her nose is running. Should I put her back with mama? Is there anything else to do to help it?

Attached Files:

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Once the hatching is complete I would slide it back under the mother and monitor for a bit.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  3. Puranin

Puranin Chirping

Dec 8, 2016
    Tennessee
    She Is fully hatshed. See picture. My concern is that siblings hatching and jostling around may reopen the wound on her head. Its pretty deep

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I meant once ALL of the others have hatched and 'the hatching is complete'. Is there a possibility that the wound needs a stitch ?

5. Puranin

Puranin Chirping

Dec 8, 2016
    Tennessee
    I don't think it needs a stitch seems like she was scalped in one spot. I don't think any others are going to hatch. Its this mamas 1st round. She stepped on two. Pretty sure one died halfway in incubation, one hatched so far, and am unsure as to the remaining 2. I hear no peeps and see no pips. Was going to wait until tomorrow maybe Monday just to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: