Hatchling Help

The Newman Shack

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
DE4A84C0-2308-46FC-815B-619A449EC8DC.jpeg
This is our last chick to hatch today out of our incubator. The other 8 were completely healthy and hatched more than 24 hours earlier. This poor chick hatched with what we are assuming is it’s brain sticking out of its skull in 3 spots…it’s acting 100% normal and active (we have separated it from the others). Any ideas on what this is?? The chick was covered in blood once it came out of the shell when none of the others were. This is our first batch of eggs our girls have laid that we have attempted to hatch. This baby is a white leghorn mix.

View attachment 2766712This is our last chick to hatch today out of our incubator. The other 8 were completely healthy and hatched more than 24 hours earlier. This poor chick hatched with what we are assuming is it’s brain sticking out of its skull in 3 spots…it’s acting 100% normal and active (we have separated it from the others). Any ideas on what this is?? The chick was covered in blood once it came out of the shell when none of the others were. This is our first batch of eggs our girls have laid that we have attempted to hatch. This baby is a white leghorn mix.
If it is her brain, she won't live long and will probably die soon. Sorry to be such a downer, but you should probably cull her to put aside any unnecessary pain and trouble. :(

I'm with Blue Raptor on that. She is going to have NO life, even if she survives. If that is the brain, and it looks like it is, the first couple of pecks she gets will maim her further, and that will be worse than what you have now... :-(

That’s our plan is to cull it but we just wanted to double check that it was the brain and not tumors or something it could live with first. Thank you everyone!

Is the chick eating, drinking and walking around? The amount of uncertainty has to be tough on you. I'm so sorry. I'll tag some folks that are very knowledgeable and always helpful. I wish you the best

@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
It’s acting 100% like a normal day old chick. It’s not acting like it’s in any pain but those spots are looking a lot less swollen today than they were last night when it hatched. We’ve kept it separated and been monitoring it regularly. It’s very responsive to our voices and is very active. It sure did look like the brain coming through last night but today it is looking more like just fleshy lumps so we are going to keep it separated and continue to monitor throughout the next couple of days to see if it will continue to act normal. We just don’t want to cull if it’s not necessary but we also don’t want it to suffer any (which is is not acting like it is at this time).

I wonder if it had some shell stuck to the top of the head and it was just skinned? I think since it is eating and drinking, and active, I would not cull, but see what happens. I would put a small dab of plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment, or Vetericyn on the raw skin. Let us know what happens, and good luck.

It’s acting 100% like a normal day old chick. It’s not acting like it’s in any pain but those spots are looking a lot less swollen today than they were last night when it hatched. We’ve kept it separated and been monitoring it regularly. It’s very responsive to our voices and is very active. It sure did look like the brain coming through last night but today it is looking more like just fleshy lumps so we are going to keep it separated and continue to monitor throughout the next couple of days to see if it will continue to act normal. We just don’t want to cull if it’s not necessary but we also don’t want it to suffer any (which is is not acting like it is at this time).
I am so happy to read this. It just makes my night. Of course there's always a probability that I'm wrong but if that's brain, it looks like enough involved that it would cause some functionality issues. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong at all, but if they're not suffering, I'd give it a chance to thrive. You're aware of the possibility and ready to act if necessary, so I see no reason to cull. That may change in the very next moment but maybe not. Only time will tell. I'm thrilled to read what Eggcessive shared. Please keep us updated on this little one, either way. Have you given it a name?

Back
Top Bottom