1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchling in the Canadian Atlantic

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Thiriel, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

Hello, my name is Thiriel, I don't yet have my own flock, but I'm looking to get one in a few years, once my BF and I get our house. I'm joing now because I want to learn as much as I can before I get into something like this. One thing to collect books, but we're talking about tiny, fragile little (delicious) lives in my hands, I want to be prepared!

I'm looking for any help, tips and tricks that people are willing to provide.

I'm also looking for someone within the Atlantic region (NB, PEI, NS) who breeds chickens where I can get chicks, or at worse, a hatchery that can ship within those provinces.

Thank you!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, and :welcome from way down south in Florida :D

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock.

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. Good luck with your planning - doing so in advance will make the learning curve of chicken ownership a lot less stressful.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
    CT

6. Thiriel

Thiriel Just Hatched

Thanks everyone, and I have been looking over a lot of stuff on the learning centre, taking a look to see what I can and should not do, as well as weighing my options; try to find a local breeder of what I want (Orpintons and perhaps Dominiques), or do I try to find a way to ship them to Atlantic Canada?

For the year after, do I leave one or two hens go broody or do I order more chicks, if I can?

Choices, choices....

7. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Thiriel; Greetings from Alberta. Glad you joined BYC. I spent a few years in Sackville long, long ago and still have relatives in Moncton. Small world. I joined BYC the autumn before I acquired my first flock and continue to find it a great resource. The members are really generous with their advice.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by