Hate my bator

You could just box it up and send it to me!
tongue2.gif

Your temps sound ok just got to be very easy on the adjustment also when you get the eggs in it will help Your therometer will be sitting a little higher on top of the eggs Place it in the middle of the window so you can see it get your temp to about 100 and leave it there Rember that as your eggs trun the therometer will move also this will change the temp a little but is ok. Im on my second year with one LG and first year on 2 more. Right now i have a Sportsman, hova-bator and 2 LG's running and one Lg on stand-by in the box just incase. Wow thats 302 eggs and 40 eggs waiting on a spot
hide.gif
. Good luck with your hatch.

Quote:
Yes, many things were screwed up by "modern technology".

LG was mine first bator, I got decent hatches out of it , but I was tinkering with and babysitting this darn thing most of the time.

Styrofoam bators are only for experts or technically oriented people who have time and patience playing with them.

They are NOT for beginners and they are NOT "Plug and play"

or "set it and forget " it machines.

That,s the way it is ma friends.

Has any one used the round metal bator in the past. My friend said he never had to check anything said he used it for years. Now I know that things change an are suppose to get better (right).

You people with wide temp fluctuations either have defective
bators, unstable room temps or bad or poorly positioned
thermometers. You may also have too few eggs and are lacking
heat sinks to stabilize temps. You should be able to tweak the
thermostat over a couple days and never have to touch it again,

I have 3 LGs with fans and turner and they all hold temp fine. Like
I sais in a previous post, if I turn my heat down to 60 at night then the
air temp and the egg tops will drop to 98 but my wiggler stays around
99. The Genesis does the EXACT SAME THING.

People who have this fantasy that getting rid of an LG and getting
a Hova are bound for heartbreak. They are almost identicle bators.
If you want something better than step up to a Brower or Brinsea.
Both start at $150 with turner.

In an empty bator the temp will vary like crazy.
There is nothing there to hold the temp. When setting up a bator you need to put something in it to hold the temp, water or sand will work. It is not always the bators that don't work, sometimes it is the operator. Don't always blame the LG, I use them all the time. My neighbor uses a sportsman and my hatch rate is higher than his. He can't figure it out, his bator cost 10 times what mine did. Yet the best he can get is a 50 % hatch rate, while my worst hatch rate runs about 80% with most at 95%.

you know I never thought of putting some sand or something that will hold the heat. I really think it is the guy that is operating it like panner123 said I'll say maybe 20 per cent then the rest goes to the bator. My humidity stay around 35 to 40 all depends on how often I put water in it. Just checked it it is 99.5 room temp 72
smile.png

Quote:
Heat sink (water, sand) will reduce extreme temp fluctuations in cheap styro bators, but it is not a substitute or excuse for lousy quality bator not working correctly like all styros.

However a better quality bator will hold steady empty, even "there is nothing to hold temperature".

That what a thermostat , good insulation and good air flow distribution is for: "To hold temperature" empty or not.

I just bought Brinsea 20 ECO, testing it empty now, playing with humidity adjustment before I put my eggs in it.

The temperature holds rock steady checked by digital thermometer, mercury thermometer and original Brinsea Thermometer which came with the bator.

They all agree and do not budge, even I opened the window and let a cool evening draft breeze into the room.

I am sick and tired of my LG, yes it works but only because I constantly monitor it, tinker with it, trying to keep room at constant temperature etc.

This Brinsea baby will be "set it and forget it thing" I hope.

We,ll see.

Ah yes, the urge to throw the LG out the window, been there... almost did that. I have an instant-read thermometer that I know is correct and I too, put a bigger dial on the temp knob. Those two things helped a great deal. And think like a momma chicken - ya get a little cool, ya get a little warm. And a good hyrgometer for hatching time, and learn how to read it.

Back
Top Bottom