Havahart trap not trapping coons.

ArekE

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 21, 2014
For a few months we have been having a huge raccoon problem. So much that they would come everynight for chickens, turtles and turtle food. Once it started getting to out of hand i decided to try a method of baiting them and shooting them ( I made sure to check all the hunting/trapping regulations for Colorado ). What i would do would be to set out some cat food in the backyard and wait till about 10:30. At about 10:30 a whole bunch would show up im talking 5 or more. I ended up shooting a couple but everynight it seemed like a new family would join the party. Eventually i decided to spend 60 dollars for one of those havahart large one door traps. The first night i set up the trap with a bowl of some bait mix that i came up with, in the morning i wake up all excited thinking i had caught a coon. I walk out there and the bait was gone, trap was tripped, no raccoon. I did some searching on youtube and a few videos said to find some jumbo marshmallows and stick them through the tiny holes on the bottom. This way it gives them something to work at and they would eventually step on the plate. I set it up for the night and when i came out this morning i found the same thing i found yesterday morning bait gone, trap tripped, no raccoon.

Any ideas would be really helpful because im tired of those rodents getting my chickens.
fl.gif

There are a lot of different ways to set the trap up and different baits that work. We all have our favorites. I normally use a spoonful of peanut better wrapped up in a paper towel and tossed in the back of the trap for bait. Not because it is the absolute best but more because I always have peanut butter available.

I cut a piece of plywood for a base and wired my trap to it. This gives it stability plus they can’t come up under it. Then I made a box to fit over the trap so the only way they can approach the bait is through the front door.

In the past three weeks I’ve caught two possums, two raccoons, and a feral cat. I was making chicken broth so I used some of the debris from that, mostly highly seasoned veggies like onions, carrots, and celery plus basil and oregano leaves I used to season that broth. I just wrapped that in a paper towel. That was a potent smelling mix. A couple of those were caught on peanut butter though.

You can reduce the raccoons visiting your property by permanently removing them, but that will not totally solve your problem. There are always others ready to move in. Good fences and tight coops are your best way to go. Electricity is also a great tool to use. Obviously I believe in removing the ones that visit but your best long term solution is good protection.

Good luck!

The problem i have is that some of my birds dont sleep in the coop at night and every once in a while i forget to get one and in the morning theres feathers and a ripped up carcass in the yard.I like the idea about making a box to put over it but how are the stealing the bait and tripping the trap?

There are a lot of different ways to set the trap up and different baits that work. We all have our favorites. I normally use a spoonful of peanut better wrapped up in a paper towel and tossed in the back of the trap for bait. Not because it is the absolute best but more because I always have peanut butter available.

I cut a piece of plywood for a base and wired my trap to it. This gives it stability plus they can’t come up under it. Then I made a box to fit over the trap so the only way they can approach the bait is through the front door.

In the past three weeks I’ve caught two possums, two raccoons, and a feral cat. I was making chicken broth so I used some of the debris from that, mostly highly seasoned veggies like onions, carrots, and celery plus basil and oregano leaves I used to season that broth. I just wrapped that in a paper towel. That was a potent smelling mix. A couple of those were caught on peanut butter though.

You can reduce the raccoons visiting your property by permanently removing them, but that will not totally solve your problem. There are always others ready to move in. Good fences and tight coops are your best way to go. Electricity is also a great tool to use. Obviously I believe in removing the ones that visit but your best long term solution is good protection.

Good luck!

It is very likely that you have as many as 30 coons visiting your coop or even sleeping in your attic. The natural approach would be to get yourself a hungry cougar or a wolf pack but your chickens may not fare any better with these predators living on your property. Bald and Golden Eagles prey on coons but coons return the favor and prey on undefended eagle nests.

My recommendation is to buy about 4 Duke brand Dog Proof Coon Traps, stake them securely where the coon can't become tangled in the coop, brush, or a fence. Bait them with marshmallows (a bait that only a coon can love) Your coon problem will soon be solved. Protecting your chickens from predators requires a multi pronged defense that includes an electrified perimeter fence, a strong coop, and a proactive predator removal (not relocation) strategy.

Coons are strong. Unless your trap properly latches itself when tripped, the coop will push and shove his way out. Check the latch mechanism, make sure it is properly latching. Also, do you find the trap laying on it's side? If it's on it's side, an animal can practically just walk out. Another thing you could try, is to wrap the bait in a piece of scrap hardware cloth, then wire to to the back of the trap with some bailing wire. Then they won't be stealing your bait any more.

Coons are strong. Unless your trap properly latches itself when tripped, the coop will push and shove his way out. Check the latch mechanism, make sure it is properly latching. Also, do you find the trap laying on it's side? If it's on it's side, an animal can practically just walk out. Another thing you could try, is to wrap the bait in a piece of scrap hardware cloth, then wire to to the back of the trap with some bailing wire. Then they won't be stealing your bait any more.

I know that many of you have experienced coons reaching through the wire, grabbing a bird and either pulling it apart or eating it to death through the wire. The Dog Proof Traps use the coons own feeding behavior against them. The coon must reach into the trap to grab and pull the bait out of the trap. Then you got'um. I honestly believe that the coon thinks that it is pulling the wool over your eyes when it get's itself caught.

Coons are strong.  Unless your trap properly latches itself when tripped, the coop will push and shove his way out.  Check the latch mechanism, make sure it is properly latching.  Also, do you find the trap laying on it's side?  If it's on it's side, an animal can practically just walk out.   Another thing you could try, is to wrap the bait in a piece of scrap hardware cloth, then wire to to the back of the trap with some bailing wire.  Then they won't be stealing your bait any more.  
The coon hasnt been tipping the cage because i have a 40lb rock on top of it. Im going to try building walls around it like Ridgerunner said so it isnt likely to reach in and grab the marshmallows. I am thinking about getting one of those dogproof traps as it seems they work best.

If it is a really big coon ... It's butt is not letting the door down far enough to catch the latch, then it just backs out ... Or, maybe a second one is trying to get in at the same time, and the door doesn't close all the way before they decide to leave ...

I have a Duke Dog-Proof trap on the way, just because it sounds interesting, and I don't even have chickens yet, but figure when you need it, no time to wait for shipping ... Also ordered a few different sized body grippers ... Something is climbing up inside my rain gutters ... Time will tell what try's to come out!

I am for sure that there is more than one. Tonight i am going to put marshmallows underneath the trap therefor it makes them work harder to grap it.

Back
Top Bottom