Have 2 chicks i cant figure out ones breed and ones gender.

Rugger

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
Hello,
I have been hatching chicks for a while now and have had extreamly good results but this batch of chicks I will be keeping i am not allowe dto have Roosters so i am sure i have one hen but cant tell if it is a Barred Rock if so it is extreamly dark.
(Photo)

This chick is definatly a Barred Rock but i cannot tell its gender it has splash on its legs (girl trait) All black top (girl) but in the beggining of the beack it has all yellow and its belly s extreamly yellow also at the end of its wings. I could be wrong the guy had many black chickens.

Does it have any wing feathers growing out yet? Are you sure it is a hen? It is really hard to tell as the photos are dark and when enlarged they blur. I copied one, changed the exposure and contrast but still not much better. The comb looks a bit large to me. Anyway, the picture as it is looks like it could be a barred rock but I can think of a couple of other breeds it could also be at this point. Look very closely for wing feathers beginning to grow to see if you can tell any color there.

The chick i know the gender of had the wing freathers so i assumed it was a female and the other hen by the time it hatched was practically 3 days old and had the same feathers and other small feathers

will the chick be still able to be sex detirmeded at 3 days of age?

Back
Top Bottom