Have a feeding question.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Waldorbigbill, May 10, 2011.

1. Waldorbigbill

Waldorbigbill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    My 13 chicks are about 6 weeks old now getting ready to move them outside this weekend. I'm down to the last of my feeder feed. The bag says that I should feed them this feed until 22 weeks of age. But when I spoke with a feed place they said if I have laying hens I should switch to a growing feed after 5 weeks. So now i'm not sure what the right answer is but them seem to love crushed up cheerios LOL. Any advice on what feed I should be using for my 13 laying hens.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I would switch to grow now or in couple of weeks then to layer a little befor there type of breed is sapose to start laying.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I don't start layer feed until they are about 4 months or I see an egg! Mine are 12-13 weeks and still on chick starter mixed with grain.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, feed starter until you see an egg or until about 4 months old. They need the extra boost they get from it.

5. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a starter/grower until they begin laying... and that is when I switch to layer feed. If your feed is starter and then grower, and then layer, you might want to ask another.

bump

ps enjoy the little ones!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by