Have a look, if you don’t mind.

I also ended up with a TSC coop (the Superior Pets XL) and have 6, 16-week-olds. For the ventilation issue, we used 2x2 spacers around the roofline to raise it, then covered the gaps with hardware cloth that had the pointy ends butted up against the corrugated panels.

The attached photos are of the coop 'in progress' back 10 weeks ago, and not all sides/angles, but hopefully enough for a visual. Everything is tightened up on the coop now, plus we've added 'awnings' to block the rain from the elevated space between the roof panels and coop walls.

Regarding living quarters & space issues: my standard-sized pullets (5) & cockerel (1) have been happy and polite throughout the last 10 weeks. The only two (temporary, for growth allowance) changes I made regarding roosting/sleeping were to remove the nesting box panels (we'll be installing real boxes in a couple of weeks), and to build them a roosting ladder with natural branches (2-story) that sits just inside the side access door on the high side of the wall. Since we need to upsize their branches now that they're bigger, we're just going to mount one width-wise (above their sliding door, from window to side access door) and one depth-wise (above the side access door to the nest-box access door) just low enough so that they aren't affected by any drafts from the roof ventilation. They'll still have enough head-clearance to hop up on the nesting boxes to get on and off of the roosts.

The ultimate plan: I'll be keeping a lookout for free/lowered-cost/scrap lumber over the fall & winter in order to transform this coop into an open-air setup. I want to wall in the area directly under the coop, and the top half of the extended area on the window side, then extend the coop floor all the way to the ground access door. The man door will be converted into a dutch-style door, (the lower half for eventual access to their new enclosed run, and the original ground access door for yard access) and I'm still trying to figure out how to convert the original side access door into a screen door, since it will also open up into the enclosed run.
Screen door - you could just remove the "window" in that door and replace with screen. Then a little protection low from wind, but open ventilation on top.
All in all looks like a good set up to start out. Personally, I'd leave the floor as is, unless your intent is to be able to walk around inside.
As you go along, you'll see how the hens use it and get ideas as to what changes are best.
I installed several roosts in the run thinking some extra dimension & places to hang out. But they're always laying around under them in the straw. Crazy girls

Back
Top Bottom