1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Have a question about percentage of eggs hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WRBH, Jul 19, 2008.

1. WRBH

WRBH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2008
    Williford, AR
    I was wondering something. I bought 18 eggs on Ebay that are Cochin (not sure how that is spelled) Frizzle Bantams. Wanted some more frizzles to work on breeding with. Any ways The lady sent me 20, but two were cracked. I put 8 under two hens I had that were already broody (this is both of their second rounds, feel bad their first didn't work out, is other reason I bought the eggs, my other frizzles eggs were infertile, they were the first round that those poor two didn't hatch) I put 4 eggs under each hen. My guy put the 10 remaining in His familys incubator. They are all due July 24th, so I candled them last night. 2 under each hen were growing, could see the little ones moving, they were sooooo cute. and 2 (with a possibility of a 3rd, but air pocket looks weird so not holding my breath) out of 10 in the incubator had moving chicks. So that makes 6 for sure out of 18. What I wanted to know is that about normal for a sucess rate?? Thanks alot Ya'll

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  2. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Alot of people have low development rates with shipped eggs. Sometimes the PO just handles them too roughly. Sounds like you are going to have some luck though. There have been many on here that had none develop with shipped eggs and some that had a 100% hatch! Good luck!!!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I got very lucky and had 100% hatch from 6 b/b/s orp eggs! I was thrilled. Although another batch of shipped eggs I got 1 out of 6 So it all depends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by