Have a question but have no idea how to post a question anywhere else. Hurt chicken

deonnal

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Hi

Sorry to post this here, but I've looked all over and just now could find a place that said "start a new thread." Anyway, I have 13 week old buff Orpington pullets. We had an extension ladder on its side leaning against the house and evidently the cat jumped on it and knocked it over onto one of the chicks. Thank The Lord I was out there when it happened and was able to rush over and rescue her because she was trapped on her side. It makes me so sad just thinking about it again. Overall she seems to be doing fairly well although she's been limping ever since. I've felt the leg up and down and it doesn't seem like it's broken. She doesn't squawk when I press on it all the way up and down. My question is should I separate her from the other two because, of course, she doesn't want to be alone so all day yesterday she just hopped around following them everywhere. I just want to do what's best for her and make her the most comfortable but she seems less comfortable around me, but I think she needs to rest and stay off of it.

First off,
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I would say take her with you for a couple days and let her rest and you can observe her. If you feed her and sit with her it could potentially make her like you more too
smile.png
. If only away from the others for a few days, it should not mess with the pecking order. I wish the best of luck to you, and if you need any more help just let me know!

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your incident with the chick :hugs Could you seperate her from the others so she has a smaller space to rest the leg but do she can still see the others? Maybe by some wire? You could also post in the emergencies section describing her symptoms in as much detail as possible. Here is the link > https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Just click on the above link and it will take you straight to that section. At the top of all the threads already there, there is a box that says "Start a new thread" click that and ask away.

Good luck with your chick I hope she is well soon :fl

Hi

Sorry to post this here, but I've looked all over and just now could find a place that said "start a new thread." Anyway, I have 13 week old buff Orpington pullets. We had an extension ladder on its side leaning against the house and evidently the cat jumped on it and knocked it over onto one of the chicks. Thank The Lord I was out there when it happened and was able to rush over and rescue her because she was trapped on her side. It makes me so sad just thinking about it again. Overall she seems to be doing fairly well although she's been limping ever since. I've felt the leg up and down and it doesn't seem like it's broken. She doesn't squawk when I press on it all the way up and down. My question is should I separate her from the other two because, of course, she doesn't want to be alone so all day yesterday she just hopped around following them everywhere. I just want to do what's best for her and make her the most comfortable but she seems less comfortable around me, but I think she needs to rest and stay off of it.
I hope she is ok. I'd definitely post this in the "Emergencies... " section. If you look above your original post there is a drop down that says Forum Nav... click on the drop down arrow and scroll down to Emergencies/ Diseases/ Injuries and Cures. There are a lot of veteran chicken owners that keep tabs on that section that I'm sure will address your concerns. Best of luck with her I'm sure she'll be just fine in no time. :)

How do I post on this site? I am looking for chicks raised by their mother. Pretty rare. Want Buff Orpingtons.

Back
Top Bottom