have another question for you...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by freshfish, Oct 29, 2011.

1. freshfish

freshfish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    I have been looking at the classifieds, mainly people selling eggs. How do you go about hatching these? I have about 14 hens right now, could I just place them in the nest box and let the ladys do the motherly instinct or do I need to get an incubator then brooder? Do the people selling eggs ensure they are fertile? Are the eggs in the first few days or close to hatching? Sorry, I am looking for a lavender Americuana Roo and a couple of hens but cant find any in my area so I have been thinking about ordering some. Is there a good book about hatching chicks/brooders that you would recomend?

Thanks for any input,
    John

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

You can buy incubators all over. Your local farm supply, ebay, here on the site, hatcheries ect.

incubation is about 21 days

Tons of books about the subject

Go to the top of the page and type in incubators and incubating eggs and you will find a ton to read about!

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I think, since you are looking for a specific color and breed, that you go to a hatchery and inquire to them about what you want. Also, 'just placing' eggs in with the chickens wouldn't work because they would have to be 'broody' to sit on them and hatch them. There are many fine suggestions about how to hatch eggs on this web site. How mature the eggs toward hatching is one important question you need to ask the one providing the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by