Have I done all I can for this little one?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iLikeMineFried, Apr 18, 2017.

1. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    I received shipped chicks last Wednesday from Cackle. 17 bantams total. I lost 4 in shipping, and another 3 in the next two days. They all looked DOA and were very cold. I am down to 10 chicks now, and one is a runt. He has very little feather growth and is tiny compared to his flock mates. I am providing and trying the following, since he is moving around some and chirping constantly but not eating and drinking on his own:

-ACV, probiotics, and electrolytes in water
    -Syringe feeding 4 times a day (moistened chick starter with boiled egg yolk). Crop massage after to expel air, or else crop feels like a balloon. Crop empties after about 2 hours.
    -Separated from the others by a cage in the brooder with his own food and water dishes
    -Temp is at 99 degrees on the floor with plenty of room for him to move away if too hot
    -Checked for pasty butt, not present. Cleaned his bottom anyways and emptied his bowel to check poop for abnormalities.
    -Poop resembled chick starter with lots of bubbles and gas.
    -No foul odors on chick or coming from mouth
    -Belly looks and feels as it should, no swelling or discoloration
    -Legs and feet look good, chick wobbles a little when walking
    -Eyes and nose look ok, no discharge present, chick spends a lot of time standing still with eyes closed

I live in the middle of nowhere, so not much access to any supplies. I did give honey water to all chicks upon arrival and it helped, but I have stopped it now since the rest are doing great. This little one just isn't thriving. He is energetic and tries to get out of my hand when I open his beak to push food. Just not eating/drinking on his own or growing. Should I give it some more time with the hand feedings and see if there is improvement? I would hate to have to cull after putting in all this effort. Any suggestions? Am I forgetting something?

2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Too many supplements in the water, you're going to overload the chick. lose the apple cider vinegar; leave the electrolytes in the water . for probiotics give the chicken little bit of Greek yogurt vanilla instead of putting it in the water. Also ,if you have room ,put in a second water with just plain water in it so the chicks get a chance to choose.
    99 is too hot it should be no higher than 85-90 degrees on the floor.
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. iLikeMineFried

iLikeMineFried Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2016
    Northern Wisconsin
    OK, I will change out the water, it's not like he's drinking it anyways. I don't have any yogurt and the store is 45 minutes away, so I am not driving out there for just yogurt for a chick. I tried raising the heat lamp to cool it off, and he huddled in the corner closest he could get to the heat and chirped loudly for twenty minutes. He is a very tiny cochin bantam with barely any feather growth and he doesn't have much meat on his bones, so I think he's too cold at 85-90 degrees?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by