Have picture. Need help!!

myliberty02

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
New to raising chickens and still need lots of help. Could anyone tell me what breeds these are? We were told the black and white ones were Wyandottes and the red ones are rhode Island reds. And is the one in front a hen or a rooster? They've all been healthy and some or all are laying, but next time we will definitely research our purchase a lot more!!! The whiter one flattens out its wings and sticks its rear in the air like a hen but looks more like rooster. Haven't heard any crowing though. Not aggressive to us or other chickens either. Thanks for your help!!

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the one up front is definitely a rooster. I don't know of any breed that has long sickles like that in the hens tails.

The black and white ones don't look like wyandottes though. They look like barred rocks to me, but I'm no expert. The reds do look like hatchery RIR or possibly Red Star Sex Links as those are often a cross of RIR and barred rocks. I am guessing that you were sold birds from a sex link breeding flock. The cool thing is that if you breed that cockerel to your reds, you'll have sex linked offspring.

Yep, the one up front is a rooster. I see what looks to be a barred rock in the top left and maybe two rhode island reds behind the rooster. I do not know the breed of your rooster.

The black/white bird in front looks like a Black Sex-link rooster, or another type of Barred Rock mix. The two red hens in back appear to be Production Reds. The barred hen in back is either a Barred Rock (yellow legs) or a Cuckoo Marans (white legs).

The black/white bird in front looks like a Black Sex-link rooster, or another type of Barred Rock mix. The two red hens in back appear to be Production Reds. The barred hen in back is either a Barred Rock (yellow legs) or a Cuckoo Marans (white legs).

Ooh... good point. That could well be a sex link roo. On further inspection I see some red splotches in the barred pattern. If thats the case, you wont necessarily have sex linked chicks.

X2 on all of BantamLover21's identifications.

I agree with these guesses as well.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but the one up front is definitely a rooster. I don't know of any breed that has long sickles like that in the hens tails.

The black and white ones don't look like wyandottes though. They look like barred rocks to me, but I'm no expert. The reds do look like hatchery RIR or possibly Red Star Sex Links as those are often a cross of RIR and barred rocks. I am guessing that you were sold birds from a sex link breeding flock. The cool thing is that if you breed that cockerel to your reds, you'll have sex linked offspring.
Sorry, but this is incorrect on both counts. You can't use either a silver based or barred male in a sex link cross, and you can't use a red/gold based hen in a red sex link cross, or a non-barred hen in a black sex link cross. That cockerel over those red hens will give half barred offspring, regardless of gender.
Second this.

Back
Top Bottom