have question's about rooo's!! UPDATE post #8 HELP?!

You'll just have to wait and see. Some roos are a little rougher on hens than others. I've only had one that was hard on hens but it wasn't because he was particularly mean, he was just too big and too inexperienced. What you are seeing, though, is normal chicken interaction and you will just have to sit back and watch....sometimes the hens get a raw deal while the roos are maturing into a nice flock master.

Watch for aggression towards yourself and family, though. Seems to be more liable to happen if the roo was fed by hand and such.

I've read other posts where people have forced the roo into a squat and held them down for a minute or two to show them who's the real head roo.
Don't know if that helps in this case though.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I have heard of others holding their roo by the feet to show dominance, I tend to push them down into the squat if needed. As long as your can find a way to show dominance without hurting them it is ok. I agree with others that the GLW was probably trying to clumsily mate the hens, but they were not submitting. The roos raised together will not necessarily spar or fight. My BO and Cochin roos get along fine in a bachelor coop, and they take turns doing the little dominance dance around each other. Unfortunately I only had 8 pullets in that group so the 5 growing heavy breed roos resulted in bare backs and necks, hence the bachelor coop. Only one lucky roo stayed in the hen coop. I LOVE HAVING ROOS!

Back
Top Bottom