have question's about rooo's!! UPDATE post #8 HELP?!

earnhardtlvr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
Ok so we started out with 31 chicks...2 died nd one had to b re-homed. So out of the 28 chicks left only 3 were straight run and so therefore possible roo's. As it turns out only 1 of those 3 is possibly a roo and 3 of my pullets turned into roo's!! I'm a little bit upset, but I like all my chickens and they have all grown u together. They r all 14-16 weekd old now. My Sulkie, (not Silkie) Storm is a roo. Yesterday when I let them out in the morning and gave food and water he was showing off for me, I think. He stood right in front of me and crowed 4x and this was the first we have ever heard him do that. He also would let ANYONE near the food untill they had scratched around in the run for 15-20 mins and then he would let them go to the food and eat. He is normally one of the first couple chicks in the coop at night. The other 2 roo's aren't doing anything either. If Storm walks up to the other roo's he stamps his feet and kinda dances around them and they just stand there. Is this normal? Never had chickens and certainly never had multiple roo's. Not sure what to do. I definately and not keeping 4 roosters. Help!!
barnie.gif

This is Storm, my sultan/silkie cross. He is a beautiful bird.

83907_017.jpg

These r my 2 other roo's. Far right is an EE roo, Roscoe. Next to him, to the left, is a GLW named Lil' Wayne.

83907_roos.jpg

This little guy is possibly roo #4. I'm not too worried about keeping him or letting him go...he acts more like the hens! LOL

83907_003.jpg

Would appreciate some suggestions on what to do with the roo's. How do I pick one? or two? is Storm showing normal behavior? Help! LOL

Last edited:
About keeping the roo or multi roos... I met a woman the other day and they have a large flock with multi roos. Her husbands thought was that 2 roos will focus on each other but 3 or more they kinda do their own thing.. not sure how all that works but I have some that free range and have multi roos and they all get together well.

Your roo's hormones are kicking in. Soon they will be sparring with each other. You will need to start watching for signs of full on fighting after that. I have a boatload of young roos who are getting rougher and rougher with each other. They actually triggered a fight between my two adult boys yesterday. Thankfully the damages were not too bad.

One of my roos does a dance for me every time I go near him. If one of the other birds comes near me he will run them off then come over to me and dance some more. He moon walks too.

I have a 14 week old bantam Turken who did the little dance for my daughter and I. She was visiting us and meeting the chickens for the first time. We laughed so hard we cried! She thought he was river dancing, so his name became O'Malley.
smile.png

Ok well I am gonna b down a roo very soon. We let them out into the big yard to free range for about a half hour b4 they go to bed and my GLW roo, Lil' Wayne, grabbed 2 of the girlies at the back of the neck and were dragging them thru the yard and the were screaming and he didn't want to let go! I grabbed him and hung him upside down by his feet for a minute. I don't want mean roo's in my flock and it really upsets me because this is a chick, when it was a baby and we still thought it was a girl, I used to hold and pet and handled a lot! Is this normal roo behavior?? To grab them at the back of the neck and pinch and pull them? The girls weren't doing anything that we saw. They just happened to be next to him...any help please??

Back
Top Bottom