Have to ask..ever have a hen who just never laid an egg?

NicChicks2013

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
Galloway, NJ
We have a beautiful australorp ( Beauty) about 8 months maybe slightly older. Has yet to lay an egg. Her gal pal the leghorn drops one a day and has for a months now. She is healthy, eats well and just looks beautiful. My husband and I wonder if there are times a hen just never lays. If she were egg bound or something, thinking she would be ill. Maybe she is waiting for a boyfriend or the whole laying an egg thing is just not for her..she makes for wonderful living yard art so she is a keeper..Hubby says she gets more yummy looking the longer we wait..lol..not happening
smile.png

I have an ameraucana that just started laying and she's almost a full year old I think. Sometimes they take longer than others, I guess.

Ha ha, my mom and brother kept thinking she was a rooster and my dad was thinking about getting rid of her (he was joking, I wouldn't allow that anyway)... now she just laid her second blue egg and no one's complaining now!
big_smile.png
She's so cute, and the wait was worth it.

Thanks..told hubby some can take up to a year. We just had a fun conversation about if all hens must lay eggs..and was curious if anyone could say.. " Ruby over there is 3 years old and never laid an egg " ...
smile.png

Hello NicChicks2013, I certainly don't know all the reasons, but two things come to mind: 1) a hormonal problem — is her comb disproportionately large for a hen? 2) overfeeding — an overweight hen won't lay.

We had a pullet that laid eggs for two months, then stopped altogether. Her comb grew very large like a rooster. It's starting to shrink, and she laid a long, skinny egg two days ago. The previous egg was laid last fall, and was blood-smeared. She's be 2 years old in April.

Beauty may start laying eggs when the weather gets warmer. By the way, are you supplementing their light to provide 14 hours a day? It can make a difference. Good luck!

Our first group of girls just turned a year old and one of them finally laid and egg a couple of weeks ago and hasn't laid another one since. All of the others started laying last summer. She's a bantam frizzled cochin and she was injured by a dog we use to have last year on her wing but it healed without any issues. I've wondered the same thing, do some hens just never lay?

I have a beautiful BCM hen that has never laid an egg- my fault though. I bought her as a 6 month old pullet, and vaccinated her against Newcastle/Bronchitis ( I vaccinate all of my birds for this). I did not realize at the time that if this vaccine is given after they are 4 months old, it can inhibit egg production. Lucky for her- she is beautiful, and we have successfully shown her.

Thanks for sharing stories :) will enjoy sharing with hubby. As to overweight hens..how do you tell? She stands next to a leghorn..lean spunky machine. Here is a pic of Beauty..as long as she stays healthy..its all good. Does she look chunky? I know I made the hubby chunky. .hope not her :)

Thanks for sharing stories
smile.png
will enjoy sharing with hubby. As to overweight hens..how do you tell? She stands next to a leghorn..lean spunky machine. Here is a pic of Beauty..as long as she stays healthy..its all good. Does she look chunky? I know I made the hubby chunky. .hope not her
smile.png
She doesn't look chunky; she looks fine, except that from this photo angle her comb looks underdeveloped, like a pullet. She may just be taking longer to mature — a late bloomer, perhaps. Take a look at other australorp hens online and compare their combs with Beauty's comb.

Thanks Hooligans7..yes it does look smaller than other Australorps hens. I tried to find info to if it is unhealthy to have under developed combs..her color is good. So I will take late-bloomer..and just wait. My husband will continue to present the case that all hens do not have to lay eggs till she does. At least she doesn't look over weight..lol..would have to put her on diet
smile.png

I have a black astralorp that didn't start laying until she was about 9 months old, while my production red layer at 6 months. Maybe it's the breed?

Back
Top Bottom