Have to butcher my first bird tomorrow.

Pics
I made chinese chicken and corn broth. The meat fell of the bone and the flavour was so far superior to any other chicken i have eaten i can't even explain. My kids just couldn't get enough and the hubby who says he hates corn was blown away by how good it tasted. This will make butchering spare roosters a LOT easier in the future, simply knowing how good they taste and how much the whole family will be nourished!!

Attachments

• IMAG3972.jpg
    IMAG3972.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 4
I made chinese chicken and corn broth. The meat fell of the bone and the flavour was so far superior to any other chicken i have eaten i can't even explain. My kids just couldn't get enough and the hubby who says he hates corn was blown away by how good it tasted. This will make butchering spare roosters a LOT easier in the future, simply knowing how good they taste and how much the whole family will be nourished!!
Yay!!! how old was the rooster again?

I posted recently in another thread, that making the decision the first time gave me pause, not so much the killing and processing. After I saw that the bird was in fact a decent frying size that yielded a good amount of meat, that put my mind at ease. I was afraid of having a bony "rubber chicken" that wasn't worth my effort. If I had needed any further confirmation, the flavor would've done it. I had been taught the chicken frying technique that my family has apparently used for generations, but was always told it would never be like Great Grandma's, because you can't buy a chicken like she used. How true that was! Raising Barred Rock roosters for food isn't exactly cost effective, but the end result was amazing. I couldn't wait to butcher the next one.

Back
Top Bottom