Have to butcher my first bird tomorrow.

My husband absolutely loves raptors and has had a bit to do with the amazing guy that runs it. We also started using an electric mouse zapper and freezing them to take our vermin there too.
That is so neat that there is an option out there to help others! My first introduction to butchering chickens was my first chickens. I got them at TSC along with a coop and food. Unbeknownst to me, I was sold Cornish X (6 of them). I didn't get to go through the cute little chickie stage for very long...they grew fast and ate and ate and laid nuclear bomb waste. When I finally found out what they were I nearly passed out. Kill my chickens in 8-10 weeks or they break their own legs or have heart attacks? Ugh. A sweet friend came over and set me up and showed me how and that was the start. I have never bought those type again and had I come on BYC BEFORE i went shoppin for chickens it most likely wouldn't have happened. But the lesson was learned and the next group of chicks were loved, loved, loved, and so the love just keeps pourin out for all the girls (and a few boys, lol)

Well, it went great. Caught him easily, he was very calm. Very sleepy from hanging him upside down for a few minutes before putting him in the feed bag with his head through a hole in the corner. His head fitted snugly between the nails. Very clean one chop. It was instant. Once the movement stopped I hanged him in a tree to bleed into a bucket while i checked the temp of the water. Feathers came out very easy after scolding. Brought him inside to gut him in the sink with running water. Removed the windpipe and crop. Then the neck at the backbone. Cut very carefully around the vent and removed all the intestines. Reached in for the heart, lungs and other bits. Removed the legs, tail, oil gland and final pin feathers. Gave him a final wash, wrapped him and put him in the fridge to rest for a few days. The organs are going to our local raptor refuge to feed the threatened Wedgetailed eagles. Thankyou so much everyone. I feel slightly numb. It is a little surreal. But it will be easier next time, i actually was in a zone and focused without any nerves.
Looks even better than a store bought, good job :). I bet seeing how he treated the hens really helped solidify everything, I hope he tastes good.

Ok,

Well now i have to make the decision and cull my second roo as well. My only close neighbour isn't happy with the crow contests and well i actually am not fond of them. Even though i like him i only have 12 hens and four are still in isolation so 8 with the boys and 5 are bantams too, much smaller than the boys. Even though he isn't a bully i watched the flock for an hour this morning and i still think the girls are stressed. I don't want 20 hens my coop is too small. This one will be much harder, i had him from a chick made accomodations to keep him even though i don't really want two roos. And he is a looker :(

Ok,

Well now i have to make the decision and cull my second roo as well. My only close neighbour isn't happy with the crow contests and well i actually am not fond of them. Even though i like him i only have 12 hens and four are still in isolation so 8 with the boys and 5 are bantams too, much smaller than the boys. Even though he isn't a bully i watched the flock for an hour this morning and i still think the girls are stressed. I don't want 20 hens my coop is too small. This one will be much harder, i had him from a chick made accomodations to keep him even though i don't really want two roos. And he is a looker :(
I will never understand why ppl complain about roo crows. I personally love it and feel a sense of "good old days" when I hear it. how close is your neighbor? 2 roosters is nothing lol...try 25 roosters all around you...then I could see noise complaints. I mean when you get right down to it, it's a bird call. I have mourning doves singing like crazy day and night...and I call back to them, it's their planet too!!
OK sorry my rant is over...lol...so why not choose the other rooster to process?

I will never understand why ppl complain about roo crows. I personally love it and feel a sense of "good old days" when I hear it. how close is your neighbor? 2 roosters is nothing lol...try 25 roosters all around you...then I could see noise complaints. I mean when you get right down to it, it's a bird call. I have mourning doves singing like crazy day and night...and I call back to them, it's their planet too!!
OK sorry my rant is over...lol...so why not choose the other rooster to process?

The other rooster is the dominant one and a very good roo, even more of a looker and he is the most tame and the best protector of the flock. I have a daughter with severe health issues recoverung from full spinal fusion so crow offs when she is unwell aren't the best anyway. The neighbour is around 50 ish metres away. I love crowing too but not every 15 seconds for two or three hrs straight. It's for the best. I always looked at him thinking you are lucky you are good looking and not aggressive and i am kind of fond of you because i don't really want you! I think deep down i knew as they matured i'd likely have to deal with him. I really would need more hens also to keep him and that would meen a new coop and i don't want that. What i have will be perfect for the 12 hens 1 roo.

Oh and i know what you mean about bird calls the plovers here are louder but no one blames anyone because nothing can be done about it. Also the bulls next door when the cows are in season are louder as well.

This is the roo i am keeping
IMAG3828~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom