Have to leave my girls for 2 days -- how to prepare?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
I'm hating even the tho't of leaving them, but what can I do? My aunt can't come to us; she drives 55 on the highway -- even 80/94 around Chicago!!

I have someone coming to check on them and collect eggs; what can I do other than leave lots of food and water and clean their coop the morning before we leave?

If you have someone coming to feed and water, and collect eggs....really thats all you can/need to do. Just make sure....you friend knows what feed....when...where( I put different feeds in different feeders) And...to make SURE they close the coop up at night, and to do a head count! Give this person an emergency phone number...and then...TRY to relax and ENJOY THANKSGIVING!Oh, they will be a little upset with you...so when you come home...maybe some special treats come with ya!??

Are they in a predator proof pen? If you shut them up at night, hopefully your "chicken-sitter" can do that, and be sure and get there at a reasonable time to let them out in the morning. This said, they should be fine. And despite the human qualities we try to give them, I doubt if they will notice you are gone, if things are going smoothly as far as their feed, water, etc. Have a great time, and they will be there when you get back.

If your feeders and waterers hold enough for a couple days, it won't kill them to be alone - even if they aren't able to get out of their coop (assuming it is big enough for the # you have).

Having someone check on them 1x per day is even better.

Enjoy your turkey day!

Dont worry, you deserve a rest, they will survive even if they are shirty with you!
How many chickens do you have?
Are they freeranging at present?
Are they in a coop with a run?
I would leave them locked in If there is enough room.
Just have lots of water and food.
I petsit chickens often for my petsitting clients and they keep laying even though the owners are gone for up to 3 weeks!
Yours will be perfectly fine for 3 days, Just try and relax and give her your contact numbers and sure, phone her each day so you can rest assured!
Good luck.

I should have mentioned that I have 7 hens in a 8x8 coop. They normally would free-range, but the couple who's looking after them will just be looking in to collect eggs and see to their water. I have a latch on the coop door, but will be adding a second one to foil four-legged intruders. Not much I can do if some of the 2-legged ones come along.

Ok, they will be fine, at least the weather is cool for them.
Just be sure to tell them that you will be phoning them to see how things are!!! and phone them, it will make you feel much better. Leave lettuce treats for them to give to the girls too!
Have fun

Hi, frankenchick! Are you in the Chicago area? It's always nice to meet another local chicken keeper!
smile.png

Don't worry about them, as long as they have food and water they will be fine. I regularly have to leave mine untended for 2-3 days, I don't even collect their eggs, have 10-15 waiting for me when I get back. They sure are excited to see you when you come back.....bring any goodies or toys back from your trip????
Give them a treat of food on a string to play with. My girls favorite is corn on cob on a string, just tie 2 ears on a string and hang from the ceiling, the bottom one at their eye level, the other one 1 foot above, it will take them all day to peck the kernals off. I tried lettuce tether ball, but I girls didn't go for that, but what chicken can resist corn??

Cory

Hey, LindaN

Funny you should ask. . . I live in central Michigan now, but did attend Trinity University in Bannockburn. I did my student teaching at Highland Upper Grade School.

Small world.

Back
Top Bottom