Have to Show Off My Cochins

sheilawagner

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Pacific NorthWest
big_smile.png
Sorry everyone,

I'm swelling with such pride and love for my chickens, that I just have to show them off with some pics. These pics show my Cochin bantams, they are hatchery stock, but oh so beautiful, but I just keep back yard chickens, not for show, so what do I know?
tongue.png

5055992989_d03c11d92f_o.jpg

Smokey is in the foreground, and Ashley is in the back. Smokey has turned out to be the most beautiful blue Cochin I have ever seen. He started off low in the position ranking, but now has moved to the top of the boys.

5056609094_3610fbf133_o.jpg

Ashley ruffles his feathers at Smokey, and Smokey couldn't even be bothered. They are cool. The boys hang out well with each other, albeit with some chest bumping and ruffled feathers, they still get along pretty well.

5056608592_6269c262a1_o.jpg

Smokey has been my Airedale's favorite chick the moment they laid eyes on each other. Up to this day, they are still best buds.

5055992535_6301d9f7a2_o.jpg

Onyx is a solid black cockerel, but he is smaller and has less pronounced comb and wattles. He ranks lower now, but he is one of the mellowest boys I've ever known. His feathers gleam with a sheen of green, and he is so beautiful.

5056610432_c99cec071c_o.jpg

Mr Frizzle. My only frizzle cockerel. The other frizzle is a gold female.

5055995313_5480a5e198_o.jpg

Goldie, named for her color, and her personality. She is sassy, sexy, confident, wild and fun, just like the actress Goldie Hawn. I just feel personally that Goldie doesn't photograph well, maybe because her upper beak is slightly longer than the lower one, it makes her look like she is frowning and she always has that wild, intense look in her eyes.

5056611340_5286ca16bf_o.jpg

Onyx being teased by me with a grass seedling.

5056609962_dc649ba53b_o.jpg

My favorite chickens in the whole flock. Smokey and Ebony. Ebony isn't too pretty but she has a sweet face to match her ultra sweet personality. She loves to fall asleep on my lap and loves to cuddle with humans.

Thanks for sharing your lovely birds! I love that your dog and Smoky are buddies.

Here is my stardard Blue Cochin and her Brahma friend, who think the cat must have WAY better water than they do!
Cheers,

Such pretty pictures!!!!!!!

I'm way jealous of that camera....what a great job you did on your photoshoot!!!

Pretty little birds....

Thanks so very much for sharing this with us.

big_smile.png

Thank you for sharing those photos of your adorable Cochins! I am so falling in love with that breed, more and more. I was devastated when my bantam lavender Cochin, Ellen, died eggbound and I didn't even realize she was in trouble. She was so gorgeous and so friendly!

I love the way they look as if they are shuffling around in bedroom slippers.

I have a couple of other bantam cochins, and one is a roo - Nugget is such a hoot! His crow is still at the kazoo stage.

Like you, who cares and what do I know about breed standards - my birds love me and they're full of personality and *I* think they're gorgeous, as are yours!

Hi Gryeyes,

Yes, I am also in love with the Cochin breed. I've got orpingtons, delawares, plymouth rock, Polish and Silkies, but so far, of all these breeds, the one I find myself being drawn to is the Cochin breed. I simply adore their personalities. Each one has such personality it is hard to resist. And yes, the way they walk and shuffle about is hilarious to watch. They are also so affectionate and loving. I adore them so.

I'm so keen on the Cochins, that I've decided to add a few large fowl Cochins to the mix, and see if they are funnier to watch too. I can just imagine, larger versions of Smokey and Ebony, shuffling around on those feathered feet. More to hug and cuddle in a bigger package.

This time, I'm getting the standard cochins from a hatchery in Portland, OR, so it is about 3 hours drive away. If I pick the chicks up next Spring from the small hatchery direct, I can remove the shipping time, trauma and any potential losses, and maybe they'd be calmer and happier. I want to see if this really makes a difference in the temperaments of the chicks.

Sheila

They are adorable birds. I've got a blue cochin hen and I had a white roo, but he was traded for an Old English Bantam roo due to his increasing orneryness.

Back
Top Bottom