Have two unwanted roosters- dont know what to do HELP

kateschickens1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
We got some chicks at our local feed store and two out of five chicks were roosters. They have been driving us crazy with there constant crowing. We live in a urban area so the houses are close together. The neighbors haven't complained yet though.
They have been on Craig's list for a few weeks now, but we haven't had any response. We just recently put an advertisement up at our local feed store.
We put them in a cage inside of the coop with their separate food and water because they were being to roostery.
PLEASE HELP we have considered killing them and will if no one contacts us!

Last edited:
We got some chicks at our local feed store and two out of five chicks were roosters. They have been driving us crazy with there constant crowing. We live in a urban area so the houses are close together. The neighbors haven't complained yet though.
They have been on Craig's list for a few weeks now, but we haven't had any response. We just recently put an advertisement up at our local feed store.
We put them in a cage inside of the coop with their separate food and water because they were being to roostery.
PLEASE HELP we have considered killing them and will if no one contacts us!
I process mine. I find no one has interest in roosters, so every year I wait until they reach 16 weeks and off to the freezer they go...makes good soups and what not...lol

This is part of owning chickens. Everyone needs a plan to deal with unwanted roos, they WILL happen unless you buy started hens. We also process our extra roos unless they are breeder worthy, and most are not. Even a thin roo will make a nice soup or boil whole for an easy shredded chicken to add to any dish!
There are lots of videos and guidance online for processing and once you get the hang of it, you won't go back to store bought! Good luck!

They have been on Craig's list for a few weeks now, but we haven't had any response.

This begs the question, are you looking to just get rid of them or are you looking to be financially compensated in exchange for them?

Of course I can't state for a fact about your local area, but in my area I can 100% assure you that if I put roosters up on Craigslist or the exchange board at the local feed store, as a giveaway for free they would be gone within the hour... On the other hand if I tried to charge say $5 for them I would likely have a hard time unloading them...

I was recently in need of a Rooster and posted it on Facebook. Within a couple of days I got a response from someone like yourself who ended up with a rooster in the batch and wanted to be rid of him. I had also checked the board at the local feed store but there were none available at the time. I ended up with a beautiful 2 month old Welsummer for free. Put the word out. You might find some takers. Good Luck!

I can't wait until I am producing enough offspring that I no longer have to buy meat birds. I am preparing info on caponizing and will be practicing on my next processing batch. Once I am confident on the processed bird I will try on my mix breed roo chicks. I just wish that there was someone close by that was brave enough to lend a hand
idunno.gif
. Skills like caponizing are rare and I feel that they are increasing in importance again! Good luck to OP

Last edited:
We had them up on Craig's list for a while at the price of $4. We changed it a few days ago to free

We put up the advertisement for our local store labeling them for free. We linked it to our phone number, but no one has called.

Back
Top Bottom