Have we damned ourselves to eternal chicken herding/guarding?

recently I've been reading about turkeys defending against hawks, just watched some cool nature vids of turkeys chasing off hawks. you may want to look into that. maybe a nice flock of turkeys raised with your chicks will help?

A fox picked off my Roo and one of my hens whilst I was in the garden during daylight hours, he even tried to stare me down when I rushed over, Bold as can be! You are the only one that can answer your own question! To babysit or to not babysit - that is the question.... And even if you do (Babysit), they are still not completely safe!

recently I've been reading about turkeys defending against hawks, just watched some cool nature vids of turkeys chasing off hawks. you may want to look into that. maybe a nice flock of turkeys raised with your chicks will help?
Guinea's are another good watch bird. They always have an eye in the sky and sound the alarm.

I’ve had my girls locked up for 4 days now. A falcon has found my yard and has made kills at least 2 per day...song birds, sparrows and some feathers I can’t identify. Yesterday I came home to her sitting a top my fence right next to the house. The garage door opener didn’t scare her. I got out and got my gun in the garage. Stepped out and Tried to get a shot. :he Nope. Stepped back in checked the safety stepped back out :he nope. Now mind you the falcon Has Not Moved. Now Ima ticked so I go in the house ask hubby what’s up with the gun?? He too had been after the bird earlier and didn’t reload :he so I go back out and yesss it’s still there! I Didn’t get it.
But I think it took a suggestion with it as it fluttered away ;) This has been the worst yet ... this bird must be young and a inexperienced hunter. Sorry for the rant. :th
What kind of bird do you think it is?

I’ve had my girls locked up for 4 days now. A falcon has found my yard and has made kills at least 2 per day...song birds, sparrows and some feathers I can’t identify. Yesterday I came home to her sitting a top my fence right next to the house. The garage door opener didn’t scare her. I got out and got my gun in the garage. Stepped out and Tried to get a shot. :he Nope. Stepped back in checked the safety stepped back out :he nope. Now mind you the falcon Has Not Moved. Now Ima ticked so I go in the house ask hubby what’s up with the gun?? He too had been after the bird earlier and didn’t reload :he so I go back out and yesss it’s still there! I Didn’t get it.
But I think it took a suggestion with it as it fluttered away ;) This has been the worst yet ... this bird must be young and a inexperienced hunter. Sorry for the rant. :th

Lousy gun safety practices aside, I wouldn't be posting on my willingness, much less my attempt, to perform an illegal act.

We cautiously investigated free-ranging of our chickens when we were home. At first we were right there with them, but over several months got complacent and didn’t babysit. We lost our favorite hen to a coyote in the daytime while we were inside, which mostly ended our free-ranging experience.

Birds of prey are illegal to kill, for good reason, and so are the vast majority of US native birds. Find another solution, you can get in serious trouble if you do manage to kill it, and that's not going to fix the problem of there being birds of prey in the area.
If you live in an area with birds that hunt chickens, either keep them in an area that the hawks can't get into, or be prepared to lose some chickens.
You can try to befriend local corvids, they'll chase away hawks.

Our scenario is pretty much exactly the same as yours. My oldest are almost 8 months old and my youngest, not including two new hatchlings, are 5 months old. We have 30 and view them as pets rather than livestock despite being a farm. We have a large run for them and fully covered/enclosed pen they can run to but I let them free range everyday, rain or shine. I used to watch them like a hawk because like you, we have hawks, bald eagles, owls, fox, coyotes, and the occasional bear or cougar. Our upper field is between 2 1/2 and 3 acres depending upon if you count the forested edges, is not fenced in and we are along a state highway with a 55-60mph limit. After sitting with mine from morning until night, I decided that was crazy because literally nothing else was getting done in life. In watching them for as long as I did though, I noticed they had some pretty good common sense. Yes, they would go far but they also had borders or invisible lines they wouldn't cross -- they never went to our lower field, to close to the road, into the forest or to our creek, for example. And they always remained within close proximity to good hiding places such as under trees. I put several extra hiding places around the property too, just in case. I think I went a bit over-the-top to be honest but better safe than sorry. We have not lost a chicken yet with the exception of one that arrived as a two-day-old ill and couldn't eat. No predator attacks. I know attacks can happen in the daytime but we are very diligent about putting them in and locking them up around sunset every night and don't let them out in the morning until it's starting to get light, just before official sunrise. I haven't done so yet but I've been planning on getting some of the aerial predator deterrent strips/streamers (whatever you call them) that have the reflection and flap to scare them away.

I think loss at some point is inevitable and it sucks. It really does. But letting them free range and live a happy life is a huge positive in my book and beats confining them for our own needs and fears. It took a lot for me to let them just do their thing, especially with my ducks, but I have two roosters and hopefully all remains well and good. I've considered getting a livestock protection dog once we get goats, as well, who can watch over all animals. I think what you're doing is awesome but I think to you need a break too. They're smart, even though they don't always act like it. ♡

Back
Top Bottom