Have you changed your flock management practices because of HPAI?

Yes, I see that, but I just meant that a covered run was not 100% security. Just like washing you hands and wearing masks were not 100% security.

Mrs K
Other than living in a bubble, is ANYTHING 100% security against any virus?
For this particular issue, it's about management and tolerance IMO. Until ordered to do otherwise in the face of a real outbreak.

Other than living in a bubble, is ANYTHING 100% security against any virus?
For this particular issue, it's about management and tolerance IMO. Until ordered to do otherwise in the face of a real outbreak.
Over on the most active AI thread @Sonya9 posted this study (sorry I can’t seem to post the study link directly - hopefully this works).
The study is interesting and in my view supports the no need to change anything just yet approach I am taking based in NJ.
But it goes against some of the apparent out-of-the-blue infections in commercial units whose animals live inside and can only have been contaminated by someone tracking in some dirt from outside.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...found-in-south-carolina.1507893/post-25565109

:idunno

Study is here -

Sadly, this tells me nothing about my (and, I assume the OP's) clay soils. My pasture shoes looked like I'd been walking in orange concrete after last week's rains. I'm also curious about its applicability to simply stepping accidentaly in some duck poo - which is pretty sticky {_ _ _ _}.

Regardless, its all risk management, and I've taken what I believe to be reasonable precautions in view of percieved risk. The dice have been rolled, just waiting to see what they come up.

The owner of the infected flock stated that and that is what happened on his property.
It would most certainly reduce the likelihood of transmission if an infected bird pooped in the chicken run while flying over and the chickens ate it.
Its actually not that common for birds to poop while flying. I think its being spread with dust or something else.

Its actually not that common for birds to poop while flying. I think its being spread with dust or something else.
Lots of wildlife walks all over the place and probably tracks it on their feet - rodents, smaller birds, various predators, even bugs! If people can track it on their feet, then so can everything else that has feet, which can sneak into the chicken enclosures. So nothing is 100%, but given that we probably can’t reach 100% anyway, we can at least aim for better rather than worse. A covered run is still better than free range. Pretty much anything is better than free range.

Bleaching once a night.keeping inside house.6’ square area out. ,sandbox,covered night.play 2x daily,after bleach dry.Plenty sun to lay eggs.
covered fenced,tiny area is against house.
Always Hidden,years,for these reasons.

Back
Top Bottom