Have you considered processing chickens as a full-time job?

I wouldn't mind butchering for a living. I already do it for free for some of our customers. We have a scalder, plucker and stainless steel counter top to work on. I don't raise cornish x's though, so I only have to butcher a couple times a month when there's a rooster or two that I need to get rid of
smile.png
The demand for processors around here is high, but I happen to live close to a really good one. Hmmm, I wonder if they'll let me intern for the summer? Anyone from Harrison's in Boring Oregon on this board?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This is exactly why more people don't do this... It's too much of hassle to deal with all of the red tape.

There is more to this than a walk in cooler and a few pluckers... it's also a skill to do this many... in a timely manner. Think about the hassle of people coming and going... scheduling times for pickup/drop-offs.... Doing the books (every bird must be wrote down and details must be kept on where they came from how many... ect.)

Not to mention the the inspections you have to deal with. They stop in when the want and slow you down, setting back the whole day.....

There is a reason why people don't do it. I do it for some people and charge no less than $3.00 a bird. Usually it's $4.50 / bird when I use my propane and my bags/ice. If they bring their own bags/ice/propane I do it for $3.00.

i wish i had someone to local to process for me! i bet you could make a few bucks doing it...

Quote:
This is exactly why more people don't do this... It's too much of hassle to deal with all of the red tape.

There is more to this than a walk in cooler and a few pluckers... it's also a skill to do this many... in a timely manner. Think about the hassle of people coming and going... scheduling times for pickup/drop-offs.... Doing the books (every bird must be wrote down and details must be kept on where they came from how many... ect.)

Not to mention the the inspections you have to deal with. They stop in when the want and slow you down, setting back the whole day.....

There is a reason why people don't do it. I do it for some people and charge no less than $3.00 a bird. Usually it's $4.50 / bird when I use my propane and my bags/ice. If they bring their own bags/ice/propane I do it for $3.00.

Nothing tells it better than the voice of experience! Thanks.

Sounds like an aweful job to me! The only reason I do my own is because I'm not paying someone $2/bird for something I can do myself. I can't imagine the market would be strong enough to actually have it as your only source of income.

Back
Top Bottom