Have you ever been to a REALLY bad backyard breeder?

I know what you saying. Really a lot of us could easily have some of those conditions, but for putting on our thinking caps. Like this place for example.....I live in a wet area. I'm almost completely surrounded by swamplands/wetlands. You know that the chickens will eat anything green and completely wipe out all the grass in a very short time.
Having read about poultry keeping as all of you have, I know to give them something to scratch around in, so I rake up the oak leaves or pine/cypress needles and throw them onto the coop ground/floor. I do it because it makes them happy, to give them a few fresh bugs and possibly a blade of grass that snuck its way in and because I want to prepare for the rainy weather. When it rains and I don't have enough leaves, not only will I have to wade through muddy yuck, but my chickens will be dirty. It could even be deadly for them, as I mentioned on an earlier post. Then the girls will fly up to the nesting boxes and dirty that up and might not even want to come down.....can you blame them, so I avoid this problem by keeping my eyes open and tending to it.
But most people from my area don't necessarily think about chickens like me. They just set up a coop and bought the chicks and feed and didn't think about immunizations, raccoons, rooster to hen ratios.....well why would they? They didn't study up on it. I find that one good thing about the local Cajun people is that they are friendly to one another and visit from time to time, esp when they have common interests. The chicken friends I had that visited, all compared notes and checked each other's coops and runs out and talked chicken to one another. I find that by doing that, we educate each other. I know there are a lot of people that would read this and 'infection control' would pop up in their heads and I can't argue that, but I find you can teach people a lot if you want to.

A while ago I went to an area with a lot of small markets. A few of those being pet shops.
Most of them actually took quite good care of the animals in the shop but one wasn't that good at keeping chickens...
There were about 11 chickens being housed in a small cage with only a small part of shelter.
A lot of the chickens were quite scared of humans, a lot of them didn't look that happy.
A very big(no joking) rooster was kept in a small cage, with barely any room to turn around.
I won't go into detail.

It's very depressing seeing animals like that.
Never going back there again.
hmm.png

I don't invite anyone on my property to buy chickens......

There are several reasons:
(1) I don't want their chicken germs on my place (bio security)
(2) I have a dog that bites strangers, a dog that doesn't like kids, a dog that loves everybody and jumps on them
(3) My lease says I can't "run a business" on the property
(4) I have some chickens that no amount of money would buy (and they are the ones the buyer wants most)
(5) I don't have insurance to cover someone if they get injured

I don't have anything to hide, anyone that has bought chickens from me will testify to that.

But, the biggest reason that I don't invite everyone to my house? I do most of my chicken sales through the internet, meaning I don't know anything about these people. So, I am not sure I want them knowing where I live !

The biggest problem with these backyard breeders and collecters is that they do not sell off what they breed. Some are the soft hearts that fall in love with everything and some just can not sell at all. When you get too many animals upkeep gets harder and harder to the point it gets out of control and you just can't keep up. If you have empty water dishes for more than a few hours ( saying one might not be home) then one Needs to really think about what they are doing. If you are not going to sell or kill offspring then you will have a problem.

I have seen animals kept in small cramped places without enough water or food. I have also seen said animals break out and run loose trying to find food and water. In some cases people just did not know what the animals needed as the never owned that type before. Case of point city folk owning farm stock. Unlike our pet animals farm stock must have food 24 and 7 as they digest differntly than the cat or dog. Many when they get such stock do not realize the cost and try to cut cost by not feeding as much. IT DOES NOT WORK. If you can not keep up with the feed amount please get rid of the animals.

Why is it people do this I will never understand. It is just plain cruel. There is no excusse for it.

I agree with enola. Actually there are a lot of breeders that won't allow people on thier place because of the biosecurity reasons.

At this time I still do allow it but when I get things better arragend with a retail outlet out by the road I will keep what I have for sale out there and that will be the only place the public will be allowed on. Biosecurity will be the main reason but wild children, nosey people ect are others. Plus everyone want's a tour and of course want to buy your breeding stock. It's just more hassle than it's worth sometimes. Another thing. I never let strangers into my home to use the bathroom.

Back
Top Bottom