Have you ever done this?

Duck_life

Duck Addict
May 14, 2019
Woods of PA
So, I overheard someone today talking about their chickens, being curious of course I eavesdropped! Then I heard her say "my rooster is so young and he is already chasing me!! when he gets older it is gonna be worse!" I wanted to say, I had a mean rooster when he was young, as he got older, yes, he attacked my family BUT he never attacked me, I wasn't scared of him, I was his boss. Then I heard her say she is mad at her "100 hens because some of them won't give her eggs"and they are losing feathers because they want to make a nest so now they look ugly *I almost laughed* She said something about getting more at TSC where she "ALWAYS GETS THEM" (I know this girl but we never ever talked) I really wanted to say that her chickens are probably molting and have stopped laying for now, or she isn't feeding them the right stuff to lay.. or their young... How badly I wanted to say something as she blabbed on about the wrong ways to care for chickens but I said nothing, feel like I should of but it's none of my business, hopefully something wrong happens and she comes upon this site to help her.

I am guessing she was talking to someone who knew about as much , or less, about chickens.
Often newer chicken owners have done some reading, therefore they know a lot.
The knowing comes with time spent with chickens.
she must have missed the chapter about moulting.. and the one about broodiness, too.
I would have done the same as you. Listened and enjoyed my coffee.
there was too much she didn't know and you could have spent hours filling her in.
A waste of your time.
....jiminwisc......

I am guessing she was talking to someone who knew about as much , or less, about chickens.
Often newer chicken owners have done some reading, therefore they know a lot.
The knowing comes with time spent with chickens.
she must have missed the chapter about moulting.. and the one about broodiness, too.
I would have done the same as you. Listened and enjoyed my coffee.
there was too much she didn't know and you could have spent hours filling her in.
A waste of your time.
....jiminwisc......
The girl she was talking to is some girl that all I know, probably knows nothing about them because she said in one of the talks before I left "this is why i don't have chickens" Which makes me think she probably didn't know a lot, I hope she did read about the and I hope she continues to learn more about them.

In this situation I would feel the need to say something. She said she has 100 hens...that's a lot to not know about molting...I would worry she is mistreating them without knowing she is. A lot of people have chickens and don't have the proper knowledge. I know at least two people whom I have had to educate.
I probably would walk up and say something like I am sorry but I couldn't help overhearing that you have chickens. I raise them as well! How long have you had them?" And as the conversation carries on eventually mention a book or two that "helped me"so as not to embarrass her but to encourage her to do some research.

In this situation I would feel the need to say something. She said she has 100 hens...that's a lot to not know about molting...I would worry she is mistreating them without knowing she is. A lot of people have chickens and don't have the proper knowledge. I know at least two people whom I have had to educate.
I probably would walk up and say something like I am sorry but I couldn't help overhearing that you have chickens. I raise them as well! How long have you had them?" And as the conversation carries on eventually mention a book or two that "helped me"so as not to embarrass her but to encourage her to do some research.
I can take that to note next time I see her.

I agree, and of course, tell her about BYC. Sounds like she has a lot more to learn.

Back
Top Bottom