Have you ever gotten roosters when ordering female chicks?

Pretty sure it's 5 of pullets or st run or 1 male IF you are also ordering one of the other options of that breed. I'd call and ask
Exactly. 5 chicks min. So you can ask about getting 9 female and 1 male chick. Simple to ask. Worst they'll say is no, but I doubt it.
Hoovers appears to change it sometimes.
Right now, the main page had red text that says "Our minimum shipping quantity for chicks is 15. There is a minimum of 5 per sex and breed. We reserve the right to change order minimums as needed."

And if I look at the page for any specific breed, I find "Important: Our minimum chick quantity is 5 per breed and sex."

Prices are listed per chick, but they change depending on how many chicks you order. Ordering 5-14 chicks gets you one price per chick, 15-something gives you a different price, and so on. But there is no price bracket for single chicks.

I am ordering from a hatchery that only sells in sets of ten. I'd like no more than 9 hens and a single rooster. Given how they only sell in sets of ten I'm pretty much limited to only buying 10 sexed chicks and forgoing a rooster.
Are you ordering directly from Hoovers? Or ordering through TSC?
If you order from Hoovers directly, you might order 9 or 10 pullets, and 5 cockerels, then plan on butchering the extra males after you pick your favorite.

Since you intend to keep a rooster, I am guessing you want to hatch chicks in future. Keeping the best one and eating the others can be good practice for when you do that.

They have a supposed 90 percent sex guarantee. I'm interested in how accurate this is. I was wondering how likely it is that I'll end up with a rooster if I order 10 sexed chicks.
You might end up with a male, and you might not. It's inconsistent, and seems to depend partly on the breed and partly on random chance.

Last edited:
Hoovers appears to change it sometimes.
Right now, the main page had red text that says "Our minimum shipping quantity for chicks is 15. There is a minimum of 5 per sex and breed. We reserve the right to change order minimums as needed."

And if I look at the page for any specific breed, I find "Important: Our minimum chick quantity is 5 per breed and sex."

Prices are listed per chick, but they change depending on how many chicks you order. Ordering 5-14 chicks gets you one price per chick, 15-something gives you a different price, and so on.

Are you ordering directly from Hoovers? Or ordering through TSC?
If you order from Hoovers directly, you might order 9 or 10 pullets, and 5 cockerels, then plan on butchering the extra males after you pick your favorite.

Since you intend to keep a rooster, I am guessing you want to hatch chicks in future. Keeping the best one and eating the others can be good practice for when you do that.

You might end up with a male, and you might not. It's inconsistent, and seems to depend partly on the breed and partly on random chance.
I'll likely be ordering direct from Hoover's.

Honestly this is why I just buy from local breeders, don't have to deal with chicks and also i get what I want instead of having to cross my figures. Not saying anything bad but my friend here in cali, ordered 20 lavender orpingtons straight run from hoovers. He got 19 roosters and 1 hen lol. I rather just pay the price and get what I'm asking for then to deal with so many roosters.

Well,
Honestly this is why I just buy from local breeders, don't have to deal with chicks and also i get what I want instead of having to cross my figures. Not saying anything bad but my friend here in cali, ordered 20 lavender orpingtons straight run from hoovers. He got 19 roosters and 1 hen lol. I rather just pay the price and get what I'm asking for then to deal with so many roosters.
that's what you risk with st run amd not buying specifically pullets

Back
Top Bottom