Have you ever had hens kill each other?

I'm not a big fan of hybrids; red sex links like ISA browns have been inbred so much for max. egg production that they essentially burn out after 2 years. However, I do like the black sex links. I'm guessing they haven't been as intensively bred for egg production - at the expensive of general hardiness, natural instincts, disease resistance, etc. - like some strains of red sex links have.
Hybrids are not 'inbred',
They are specialized crosses often of more the two breeds.
Yes, they are bred to lay a lot of eggs,
which is what wears them out sooner than non high production birds.

I've raised chickens for a very long time and I would feel quite certain that a bigger predator started the job and something scared it off before it could finish off the other hen. I have had some pretty bad hen fights but never killing another hen. They will fight on occasions but usually one will cower and leave. I had an owl holding down a duck eating the top of her head until I found her. I scared the owl away. The duck did live. They now get penned up every night. Hope this helps.

My girls don't act aggressively toward each other, there's an occasional reminder peck, hey, "I'm higher rank". They all know, I'm # 1. I have had to correct their behavior when I introduce newbies, I hold them down for a couple of minutes, or I use my thumb and index finger and grab a little skin and feathers on their neck, it really gets the message across. I have 7 of various ages, they're all pretty calm, I only have 2 that hate being picked up and held (SLW). I won't get that breed again.

Back
Top Bottom