Have you ever known a cat to kill a chicken?

journey11

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 14, 2009
WV
I went out to shut the run this evening a little after dark and scared myself pretty good--I shut a cat in and it started FLIPPING OUT and climbing the wire walls. I waited for it to calm down before letting it out so I could get a good look at it. I believe it was a feral from how it was acting. It shot out of there like a bullet. I checked on my girls. All were fine and appearantly didn't know the cat was even there. Has anyone ever experienced a cat killing a chicken before? Mine are all large, no bantams.

feral cat, house cat, anything is possible. set a havaheart trap and catch it. could even be rabid. then take it to the pound and let them dispose of it. could be dangerous to you and the birds.

I have barn cats but no ferals. None of them has ever bothered the chickens even young ones when they are fully feathered and I first let them out to free range. They all just find their various spots in the yard and ignore each other. I have some 7 weeks running around now and the cats couldn't care less. And they like birds - I've got one that can catch a barn swallow in mid air when they dive bomb her!

Yes, I have seven barn cats...used to have 9. Two of the seven (siblings) went after my chicks...even the larger birds. No longer have the cats...they actually killed a couple of the chicks...found the headless bodies. Once I got rid of those two cats...no more problems. It took me a while to figure out which two... but, I did and the cats that remain are awesome and have given me no additional problems. Those two particular cats came to me as rescues from people that don't belive in feeding cats. Yes, you've read it correctly...they don't believe in feeding cats. That's why they came here. I took them to the vet, got them turned around and ended up sending them to a horse farm that had rodent problems in their barn and tack room. They now live there and live a great life - but, they can't be around chickens.

My cats are afraid of the hens. The cats like to watch the chicks, but the hens keep a close watch on their chicks and chase the cats away if they get too close.

Ferals will definitely kill chickens and, if my experience is any indicator, will hunt in pairs. Had our chooks (standards) out ranging one evening and saw something moving along the draingage to the east. One cat appeared, then another about ten yards from the first. They didn't see me on the deck and were moving towards the chickens (low belly crawl/using brush for cover) in a manner similar to lions hunting in unsion on some nature show. They didn't get a chance to make the kill.

I can't answer for ALL cats, only mine. The 4 I have now were all ferals that we caught as kittens, tamed, and rehomed them to our home. Yes I know my siggy says I have 5 cats. One died and I don't like to think about it....

Anyway, of the 4 we have, all are well fed. They have access to cat food 24/7. Don't know if that makes a difference or not. Three are amazing hunters! They keep the mice population down, and I haven't seen a rat at all. Of course they'll bring a mole, bunny, bird I'm sure, though I've NEVER seen them with a rabbit or bird!

Two are a year old, and still very kitten stage. Full grown, huge kitties, but LOVE to play! They both enjoy ambushes on the dogs, other cats, PEOPLE, and yes my hens. BUT, they don't use claws. They just jump out and smack when you least expect it. Usually you don't even know they are there behind that bush, or under that hedge, and BOOM, you've been tagged. Then they run in the opposite direction, and turn around to watch. The hens naturally HATE it, and several hens have decided enough is enough, and have turned to attacking the cats whenever they see them. Cats always run away quickly.

As for the laying on the belly, and sneaking up like a real hunter...well Daisy and Palin have that down. They love to crawl on the grass towards the chickens/dogs/butterflies/etc., as if they are on the hunt, but, the only thing they actually kill is the grasshoppers, or on occassion a butterfly.

Sorry for the long story to say... it's possible, but I've not experienced or heard of any neighbors with that problem.
big_smile.png

Hey,
Yes on the cats,hurting chix.
We started with 20 day old chix, put them out in a pen,3 got out and 2, were found dead
hit.gif
at the pen entrance, the 3rd was found in the mouth of our next door neighbors cat, under their back deck.That was my wifes' favorite Ameraucana, after a little nursing, & some TLC she lived, and is now the queen of ths roost.
celebrate.gif

I think the cat just thought they were playthings running around. But.....????

We have some feral cats that roam outside our yard. They never enter because my GS mix really does not like them. But the kitties look hungry so I wouldn't doubt that they might try to kill a smaller bird.

Back
Top Bottom